Automatic top off system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Hi guys.

I am getting quite tired of manually adding freshwater daily to replace water lost through evaporation. I have started looking into getting an auto top off system and wanted to see if you have any experiences with them and if there are any specific brands you recommend.

My RO/DI source is far away from the tank, so I won't be able to connect it directly and use water pressure for top off. I'll probably have to put a huge bucket of water next to the tank and use a small pump or something.

Thanks!

jowek7

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
i set up one for a guy befor and his is working great thats all i know

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Thanks. Was it like one of those automatic controllers that supplies and cuts off power to a pump based on the sensors? Do you remember which brand it was by chance?

Thanks again.

jowek7

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
JBJ A.T.O. - Automatic Top Off System Water Level Controller with two little pumps

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
You don't want your auto-top off to be connected straight to your RO/DI unit. If the top off system gets stuck in the "on" position for any reason it will lower your salinity, kill off anything in your tank, and flood your tank if you don't catch it soon enough. The safest way is to use a storage tank that you refill once a week or so.

Here's a top off unit I'm going to purchase soon, it's on sale also:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13959&N=2004+113592

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I decided to get a Tunze Osmolator after reading dozens of excellent reviews about it. Yes, it's pricey, but it has greatly simplified the dosing / maintenance routine for our tank (fill the reservoir 1x / week, mix alkalinity buffer in with the top-off water). On the opposite end of the cost spectrum, I've seen posts stating a DIY set-up can be bought and made for somewhere around $25 - $30, if you're comfortable doing so.

shrimpin

theres always room for one more
Sep 25, 2005
tempe, az
I once had a jbj auto top off and then one night then the sensor in the tank had froze up causing it to turn on the pump in the bucket with the top off water (5 gallons) and it had flooded over the rim of the tank(10 gallon reef) shorting out all electical equipmentand causing me to shut down the tank. :(

now on my 30 gallon I justed used a gallon jug, drilled a hole in the bottom of it and put a ball valve on the end of some tubing connected to the jug, then just matched the drip rate with the evaporation rate and it works great... I just cant trust the true auto ones....

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Some things I've picked up along my way:

1. www.autotopoff.com

2. When you hook up the system, put it on a home depot timer (like your lights) and have it turn on for a few minutes a few times a day. This really limits the amount of flooding your system can do.

Ok, not that much info...but it's something. ;)

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
joander123, something like in the link you provided looks more in what I will be needing for after whether the reef tanks will be done by April or June, afterwards while I go slowly with some corals and fish in aging the systems for SPS corals, I will be looking to get me another generator (15,000 watts) and as well rebuild the 40 gal breeder to what I wanted it to be in the first place.

For before I was to use the 40 as a QT for FO for the reef tanks, and now being that I have to do things somewhat different then the plans I had before, this 40 gal QT will have to hold both coral and fish.

My plans are still this that I will have T-5 lights as suggested by Mr.Firemouth and I also want a chiller a long with the sump and skimmer that are now in place to be changed to something better. And now with the "Thanks" to joander123, I need to make the plans for a reservoir as well.
I already know that the 15,000 generator will cost around $1,500 and I will not get a quote as yet from my new LFS until after im about to finish the two tasks at hand right now.

So now I will save this to show my new lfs on what im looking to do.

So yes, if I not was to look to do something as this, I would need to refreshing the sumps water level like every 2nd day, if not daily :thud:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store