Discus dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
I have been offered three discus, two of them a breeding pair, for $20. (Lady dismantled her tank for the christmas tree.) They are a little over a year old and are about 5" long and 6" high. One is a turquoise discus, and two are golden turquoise (I think). They have been kept in neutral PH (like mine) all their lives and are the best looking discus I have ever seen.

The dilemma is this-

I have a 100 gallon, 65 gallon, and a 29 gallon, with partitions I can use on the 100 and 29.

The hundred (72 X 18 X 18) has a 10" oscar, 7" JD, 5" firemouth, 7" syno osc., and a 8" pleco, so it is out of the question as for adding discus with out the divider, and I will not get rid of any of these fish.

The 65 (36 X 18 X 21) is empty, and I have everything to set it up but a stand, which I can build in a week or two, but I don't have a spot for it except where the 29 is now.

The 29 (36 X 12 X 18) has two 2" convicts, which I can easily get credit for towards the discus.

Here are my options~

1. I can stick a divider in the 100 and put the discus in there, but not forever.

2. I can get rid of the cons and stick the discus in the 29, but also not forever.

3. Do 1 or 2 and build the stand for the 65, take down the 29, put the 65 in its place, and seed the tank with the 29 filter.

[Edit: forgot 4] 4. Not buy beautiful expensive fish for cheap and watch them die at the LFS. (Who wants option 4?)

Three seems like my best option, but how long would the discus be in the 29 alone, or divided 100 before they needed the 65? It will take a week or two, (a month at the very most) to get the stand built and get the tank in place, so do I have that much time? Leaving them at the LFS isn't an option, right now they are in a 20 with 3 silver dollars and 3 festivms, none of which are larger than 3".

Sorry for the long post, but I need some help from discus experts, having never had them before. (Too dang expensive!)

Last edited:

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am by no means an expert with discus, you should ask this same question at www.simplydiscus.com/forum/ there is alot of very knowledgable people there. Here is what I know based on the little I have learned there. I read that people keep a breeding pair in a tank that size . Although I don't know how tall these 29 gallons are. I have heard that discus need fairly tall tanks. The general rule for discus is at least 10 gallons per adult fish. I am guessing that the two discus will be fine in the 29 gallon until you are able to put them in the 65 gallon. Just my 2 cents worth. Check out that forum.

Last edited:

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Number 3 is the best choice. Discus will be fine in a 29 gallon for a while, until you can get the stand built. Seeding the filter will work well, I have done this before in a discus tank and there was no stress. Actually the stress came before I seeded the tank when the amonia level went up due to an unexplained bacteria die off and a water cahnge and filter media from another tank did the trick.

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
To late, I didn't move fast enough and someone bought them all at $29.99 a piece, when I could have gotten all three for $20. :(

Oh well, maybe next time I'll have the stand built before we get discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store