will a jd work? (and others)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
i make these topics all the time, but oh well. reply if you want...

in my 50, i have a blood parrot, severum, jewel, firemouth, orange fin botia, african knife fish. bc of recent discussion on this board about the aggressiveness of jds, i wanted to know if i could put one in my tank. i am looking for some other cichlid to go into my tank, being the last fish i put in there. there is a vacancy bc my jurupari died. so the questions are...

1. will a jd work?

2. if not, will a salvini work?

3. if not, will a nicargua work?

4. if not, what WILL work?

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
You are kidding, right? These fish grow when they live long enough.

You already have too many fish. A 50 gallon tank is not that big. The Blood Parrot, Severum and Firemouth is a good mix for that setup....and nothing else (cichlid-wise). Add some danios, barbs or what have you. Add a medium sized pleco and it's done.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
dbcb314 :

Didn't we all have this same conversation but with different fish last week?

We all told you your tank was too full and you should get rid of some of the fish. So you got rid of the red tail shark. The one fish nobody had on their remove list. and not any of the ones that we all suggested.

I don't get it? You ask us questions then ignore what everyone tells you.

I'm willing to bet that everyone including myself is going to tell you the same things as the first repys you got.
Buddy your tank is OVERSTOCKED None of these fish will work until you either get a much bigger tank or get rid of most of what you already have.

Sorry bud. I hate to be the bearer of bad news But it's the truth.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
This is ridiculous. I want to know, why do you think all of your fish are dying? Some mysterious hithertofore unknown disease or the fact that you have to many fish in your tank and are killing them? By the way, geophagus are one of the most sensitive fish to the nitrogen cycle.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
hmm i didnt know that. this site and others said they were hardy fish.

anyway, i actually did bust out the old testing supply stuff, and all was normal. the jewel and firemouth are quite small, so they do not produce that much waste.

i did a water change 3 days before i left, so that is 6 days before it died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store