I need a scavenger/algae eater suggestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
My 75g planted tank had a bunch of amano shrimp but now it has some fat angels. ;)

The only cleanup crew I now have in there are 3 SAE - they are active and growing. This seems a little understaffed since I am pumping 3wpg in there. Plus the angels are sloppy flake eaters so the snail popluation is filling the scavenging void. I would rather have fish than snails.

Here are my thoughts:

More SAE - a fine choice but there would be a significant size difference within the school. My veterans are up to 3" and the lfs has some around 1 1/2".

Otocinclus - I like the algae angle on these guys too. They scavenge too, right? Of course, they repeat a look I already have...

Corydora - Even assuming I can find a 'pretty' one, I am not sure they have the aesthetic I prefer.

loaches - Clowns appeal, but a small school of 3 would really push my stocking level as they grow. (75g, 9 angels, 10 rummynose tetras, 3 SAE). I change 25% water weekly and the plants add to my capacity I figure, but I don't need 6" clowns. Kuhli or other 'snakelike' loaches are a real possibilty. Guess I need to see if any lfs has something interesting.

Pleco - No thanks. I don't want a suckermouth hanging on the glass even though as an algae and fallen food eater it fits perfectly. It is a show tank and they aren't part of my show.

So, suggestions welcome. I figure I need both more algae eating capacity and something that can get the fallen flakes.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Otocinclus cats are excellent on soft algaes and do no plant damage. But they do hang on the glass while resting and digesting or sleeping (usually in a hidden area), and by web terminology they are "plecos" as they are Loricariids. They are not good scavengers.

SAEs are not very good scavengers either IME.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The cories or the kuhli's are the best of the lot for a scavenger. Kuhli's are great cleanup, and very social and playful in groups. Ditto the cories, but be warned that both prefer dawn/dusk lighting for the majority of their activity. During bright times, they tend to hide--cories under overhanging ledges/leaves, kuhlis in the substrate or under logs/rocks.

Of course, neither will eat much algae, but if you can reduce the nutrients, the algae should clear up on it's own.

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
thanks to both of you

Ogirl, I do not really have any pressing algae problem at this time and I seem to be close to nailing down my fert dosing levels, so I do not expect any outbreaks. But the SAEs seem to always be working and I still have to scrape the glass weekly and so on. They are barely keeping up and I thought they could use a little help. But maybe my most pressing need is a true scavenger since I now have zero.

So let's refine the question a bit. What are my kuhli loach alternatives? The lfs has a bunch of black or chocolate loaches. I like the striped kuhlis I have seen. Any other interesting looks in loaches for me to look at?

I do not mind the nocturnal thing. Heck, I hardly ever saw the shrimp.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are tons of loaches, but kuhli's will do best in a group-many other kinds will fight if there's more than 2-3. Talk to the LFS and see if they can order some of the striped guys in for you; if not, it's your call, but I like my solids and stripeds equally. They don't migle much in the one tank where they are together, but they are excellent cleaners of the substrate. The solids have even reproduced in my planted tank.

Another option that is just showing up (still pricy, but lovely fish) are the angelicus botias. Not as eely as the kuhli's, think of a cory with a longer back and more gradually sloping nose in shape, but a very pretty dark brown with creamy splotches. I've seen them in groups, and think they get to about 5-6 inches in length. Lovely fish, very endearing faces.

You may want to check www.loaches.com--they have some good pictures, and species info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store