Aqua C Remora Pro

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
this thing is making me mad, i bought it off of a friend in my reef club and he had the mag 3 hooked up to it and a mag 7 in the sump for his nintey gallon, well when i bought it off of him i coulnt get my overflow and sump to match (i had to restrict the pump with a ball valve so much it made the pump noisey) so i put the 3 from the PS and the 7 on the skimmer, the problem is when i had the 3 on the skimmer it sucked alot of water into it, and now all i have is a 7 for it, i have read about many people using 7s on their remoras and getting good skim but i dont see how, i have the collection cup all the way up and i still get way to much water in it....so what do i do..like i said even with the mag3 it was a little much do i need a mag2 or something or am i doing something wrong

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
For starters, the Remora is designed as a hang on skimmer. You should NOT run it off the overflow. And you should NOT restrict flow from a pump by directly attaching a ball valve. Just get a Mag3, hang it off the back of your tank, and all will be well.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
In addition to waiting for answers here, I'd shoot the guys at AquaC (I think the url is www.proteinskimmer.com) an email and ask them. When I was deciding which skimmer to buy I was impressed with the helpfulness and quick reply even though I chose a different skimmer.

You being in a reef club will be a good bit to add since it means you're in a place to give input to other reefers on what to buy or not.

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
For starters, the Remora is designed as a hang on skimmer. You should NOT run it off the overflow. And you should NOT restrict flow from a pump by directly attaching a ball valve. Just get a Mag3, hang it off the back of your tank, and all will be well.
srry it might have of come off that way but i was talking about the sump there for a second, the ball valve is used on the sump and that is only slightly, and the skimmer is HOB i know his, im just saying when i had the 3 it would still suck up alot of water, and what i dont understand is how did other people get the mag7 to work when i had issuses with a 3?

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
The first thing they're going to ask you is this:

Are you using any additives? Stress Coat, chlorine remover, or heavy metal remover?

Mine filled the cup up every hour for about a week. Just dump it out and watch your salinity.

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
occasionaly i will throw in essential elements but thats once in a blue moon...maybe that has something to do with it? i heard stress coat messes with it...hmm...idk i guess just let it run and empty it, and while im not home just leave it off and let it run while im home?

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com

its crazy looking...i mean in lookslikea wall of millions of bubbles and its soo powerful...the same thing happened with the mag3 just not quite as bad...the cup isnt filling up quite as much but its still "wet" ..i guess on the bright side nemo loves it!

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Get a new Mag3 pump. I don't know what genius decided to try a Mag7, Mag3's are typically pushing it with these skimmers. And when you get the Mag3, set the cup the highest it can go, then empty it anytime its full.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I was going to ask if you're adjusting the collection cup's hight at all. I keep mine about 1/2-3/4 of the way up. If you leave it all the way down, the skimmate produced is very watery and fills the cup in no time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store