is there such a thing as swim bladder disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
my self-proclaimed "expert" of all fish cousin sweres that if u keep a goldfish in any tank less than 100 gallons that its swim bladder will fail. is this true? i've already asked some experts at petco and they say he is a dumb **** that doesn't know anything (which i pretty much guessed). but i was wondering who is right?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There is such a thing as swim bladder disease. And because it can be casued by a couple of things, the only real way prevent it is to just maintain good water quality. However, there is no direct relationship between the size of the tank and the risk of swim bladder disease, but putting goldfish in an unsuitable tank does cause other problems of course.

Btw, goldfish can do fine in tanks smaller than 100 gallons, but I'm sure you already knew that ;)

lizzies

Silverfishes
Mar 13, 2006
North Wales (UK)
100 gallons for one goldfish!!!!! sounds like a bit of an idiot... 30gal is about da minimum...

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
The 100 gallon part -- no lol
But swim blatter diesease, a lot of people say soaking your flakes before you give it to them, well I did they AFTER he started floating (in a 55 gallon with 2 others) and he still floated everytime he ate, so I had no idea what to do. I also tried the pea thing, still no luck. I guess once they get it, they HAVE it because the soaking food didnt help what so ever, he instantly started floating up as soon as he ate a few pieces, he passed after 5 years because I introduced a NON-QT fish into the tank =( =( =(

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Goldfish are pond fish and should be kept in large ponds. The fact that your cousin said 100 gallons doesn't make him an idiot at all. We are talking about a fish that should reach 16-18 inches (fancy's not counted of course). Any tank that is less than 18 inches deep is not suitable for long term health.

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
If you toss in some wheat germ (you can find it at a grocery store) it can help a little bit. We had a goldfish who kept doing somersaults and was able to right himself and swim normally after eating the germ for a couple day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store