Sand Substrate Vs. Crushed Coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanatic13

I LOVE FISH!!!
Aug 25, 2007
ny
im gunna be setting up an African Cichlid tank and i was wondering is crushed coral really that better then Sand substrate...i love the way snd looks. do i need to keep a close eye on the Ph with the sand or should i just get crushed coral and not worry so much?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I think the reason many people use crushed coral is to help raise the pH into the range that the rift lake species prefer. If you were to use sand, you could take a net of crushed coral and put it either in the filter or hide it in the tank someplace for the same effect.

FishFanatic13

I LOVE FISH!!!
Aug 25, 2007
ny
I was thinking about mixing sand and crushed coral can that work too?

SDRANGER619

something more family oriented.....
Sep 1, 2004
San Diego, CA (El Cajon)
That's what I have...a sand and crushed coral mixture. My guys love digging around in it.

jgeringswald

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2007
Am new to the hobby and considering switching to coral/sand mixture for my cichlid tank. Would also like to populate with live plants (although many posts I've read indicate cichlids tend to tear up most plants). Does anyone have suggestions for types of grasses, etc, and easiest method for cleaning/vacuuming the substrate?

Mr Meaty

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
Southern Indiana
Ive got Aragonite in my 20H and 55 and my cichlids love it. Plus keeps Ph at a constant level of about 8.2. Its not as light as sand thus making it easier to vac. I tried sand at first in my 55 a couple weeks ago for the first time and I found that it gets stirred very easily, so i switched to Aragonite. Wouldnt go with anything else!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Not sure how crushed coral would do with live plants. If you plan on getting mbuna then I would advise against live plants...if tanganyikan then some plants will do fine. You also have to take into consideration the pH and water harness you will have as a lot of plants can't take what is needed for cichlids.

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
I've got a sand/crushed coral mix. I stick with fake plants which the fish still nip at, and to clean the sand I just use the python and swirl it just above the sand to stir up the waste/food but not the sand. I like it a lot better than when I had all crushed coral, it looks more natural.

thepitclub

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2007
I loved the look of sand till I had it in my 75 gallon tank for a few months. It was impossible to clean or vaccuum it properly. Then it started to stink and the water took on a yellowed tinge. I did 50% water changes weekly, and cleaned the tank faithfully. Nothing worked, so I ended up tearing the tank apart and removing all the sand (not an easy feat). There was a nasty gray layer toward the bottom level of the sand that smelled terrible.
I changed the substrate to crushed coral and I would NEVER go back to sand! I love the look of the coral, and it is as easy to clean/vaccuum as gravel. Now the tank stays crystal clear with no odors.

SDRANGER619

something more family oriented.....
Sep 1, 2004
San Diego, CA (El Cajon)
That's why you gotta mix the sand around with your hand while you clean. To get the bottom to the top and vice versa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store