skimmer question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Calogero831

AC Members
Jun 12, 2007
ok so iv had my skimmer for like 3 months and i think iv been doing it wrong this whole time. i cant understand the directions for how tight/loose to keep the nozzle tube thing.

-on the water intake tube should it be a constant flow of water or foam or somewhere inbetween?
-and in the skimmer should the spiral be constand and thin or lots of foam or what?

it would be so sad if i did it wrong this whole time. i put it togeather and turned it on and stopped reading the directions thinking there was only one setting haha. still a newb i guess.
:thud:me after realizing theres more tehn one setting :thud:

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
I have never used one of those. Basically, you should have dry foam pretty much. If your bubbles at the top are very "wet" and you are getting waste very quickly, you need to re adjust it.

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
quoted from my reef club forum by the reef club president (a 60 year old single never married nuclear engineer...trust me he knows more then ne one should)

"with the seaclone 100, you have to throw away the air valve that comes with it and replace it with a simple plastic air line needle valve to fine tune the bubbles. something like the valve with the knob below the T.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...0&N=2004+113403

thats all i did to mine. they seem to work better in a sump than as a hang on the back of the tank skimmer. shorter run for the bubbles from the pump straight into the skimmer base. rather than up and over and down a long tube to the skimmer bottom outside the tank. mine has been skimming dark gunky stuff for 8 years.

the other mods suguested on the net to cut down the center tube, have been incorporated in the newer seaclones of the past 3-4 years. not the best skimmer, but not bad for the price."

so try it...from what i have read and heard it really helps with the seaclone...but i dont have one and heck i have the remora pro and its a pain in my butt (even with the correct pump)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
There is also a needlewheel mod that can be done to these skimmers using a nano bioball. I don't recall the link, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store