45 gal with Discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rogers138

AC Members
Apr 6, 2007
San Diego
www.artofbrianrogers.com
Just bought a 45 gal tank from Petco for $45 (great sale, $1 per gallon). I want to put Discus in, but I've been researching and I keep get different answers. Some people say that you need a minimum of a 55 gal tank. Is that true? I know some people bend the rules a bit when it comes to aquariums...I mean it's a 10 gal difference between the two, does it really matter?

Anyways, I really want to put in a few Discus and I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger tank anytime soon.

Also, if it's possible to put Discus in the tank, what else would you recommend?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
3 discus might be possible. Cardinal tetras, rummy-nose tetras, corydoras, rams, apistos and hatchets are fine tankmates. Just be sure to pick cories that will tolerate warmer temperature.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Even under ideal conditions, most hobbyists discus will not get over 5-6 inches. As long as you keep the tankmate stock to a minimum, and keep up with routine water changes for the discus, you could keep 4 discus in there. 3 is not a good number for discus, one will surely get picked on until it gives up and dies. As for tankmates, albino cories and sterbai cories tolerate the higher discus temps very well. And although ideally everyone says keep a minimum of 6 cories cause they'll be happier, I have 3 albinos in my discus tank, 3 albinos in my bristlenose breeding tank, and 2 julies in my QT tank, and the are perfectly happy and fat as heck. I wouldn't put german blue rams in a 45 with the discus, they are just too territorial when they breed and even with the size difference between them and discus, they will aggressively "ram" the discus at breeding time and keep them all away from "their" side of the tank! Just not worth the stress on the discus unless you've got a real large tank to give everybody their own space. Some cardinals, neons (I keep neons), and a bristlenose pleco would be fine. Green tetras (blue in color) are also fine, but hard to find. Rummynose are also good, but I prefer not to have such an active fish in with the very slow swiming discus. I've done black neons too and they are fine. Hope this helps.

Debbi

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Actually ,under "ideal" conditions, they will approach "dinner plate" sizes. A 45 is not the best choice for a discus tank. A 45 would make a nice sump for a real discus tank (eg: you can still use the 45 later on when your discus get to ~7" and it's time to upgrade to a 90+).

yogias

www.justgiving.com/susanmoseley
Jan 23, 2007
West Wales, UK
I would not bother with tankmates. Go for a species only Discus tank, heavily planted with a sand substrate. Employ the services of about 20 Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep the sand clean, and watch them thrive.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a 45 is feasible but a 55 would be better.

4 is considered the minimum number to keep discus in..however, they discus will tend to exhibit better schooling characteristics and feel more comfortable at 6+ in the tank.

at this number you would need alarger tank. but can use a smaller tank for growout.

that said I have seen adult discus much larger than 5-6" and dinner plate size is actually very real.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store