Tankmates for Senegal Bichir?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

indigoj

seem to have a growing fish collect
Jul 21, 2007
Manchester UK
Hi,

I have just bought 2 baby Bichir (about 6cm at present, feeding on live or frozen bloodworm) They are currently the only residents in a 140l 48"x12"x15" tank.

I know they grow up to 10-12 inches but I have 2 105l tanks if they need separating and plan a 5 or 6 ft tank in the next 12 months.

So, what can I put in with them at the moment?

I am concerned because I was going to put them (just for about 48 hours due to a sand problem in their tank) in my community tank (6xTiger Barbs, 6x Praecox Rainbowfish, 5xCorys, 2xSpiney Eels - all juveniles) however as soon as they were released the Rainbows and Barbs were nipping at them. The Rainbows have never nipped before! So I got them straight out and into their tank..

Here is my initial thoughts for stocking :

2x Senegal Bichir (already resident)
2x Zebra Spiney Eel (from the community tank)
2x Featherfin Catfish
6x Bosemani Rainbowfish
2x Thicklipped Gourami (very peaceful, presently in my Gourami tank)
Algae Eater of some kind (suggestions?)

I have a mix of live and plastic plants, plenty of caves and willhave some mopani and bogwood soon plus a few rocks. I know the Bichir and Eels would need separating due to size once they grow, and once I have swapped the gravel for sand in one of my other tanks this will be possible as soon as required.

I am aware that it may be a bit over stocked but I over filter and all fish would be juvenile and as I said I plan a bigger tank within 12 months. For now I am more concerned about compatibility.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Why do you need an algae eater? With the common ones such as CAE, SAE and otos having slender bodies, they'll likely be eaten by the bichirs.

indigoj

seem to have a growing fish collect
Jul 21, 2007
Manchester UK
That's why I asked for suggestions as I know the 'usual' ones are probably not suitable. I'd really like a smaller Pleco but not sure if any would be ok or if the ones small enough would be available here.

BondDouble08

Biology Major
Mar 8, 2010
OSU campus
I wouldn't reccomend any pleco's, after first hand experience and then reading about it online they will just follow your bichir around and suck on his slime coat. Doesn't sound very harmful but will for sure stress out your bichir!

Hope this helps!

BondDouble08

Biology Major
Mar 8, 2010
OSU campus
wow, I was looking for some information on the growth rate for bichirs (which I will repost on another thread) and stumbled on this, didn't realize it was from so long ago lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store