Adjusting Skimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Devilish

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Northeast NJ
Have just picked up a skimmer for my 20g tank. Never have used one before, but I am going to be setting up a larger tank with a sump soon and thought it may be a wise investment. It is a HOB/In Sump venturi drive skimmer. I was hoping to get some advice as to how to adjust it correctly. Currently I have the intake 1/4 closed so that the water level is approx. 1/2 way up the neck in the waste cup. The air tube from the powerhead is wide open. I realize that it does need a break in time, but I was wondering if where I have the water level is correct or too high.

Also, on a side note. I have picked up a 400w MH light and was wondering if this would be sufficient/overkill for a 30g xhigh, 24" deep.

Thank you in advance.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
It sounds to me like the water level is a little too high. The recommended water level on our venturri style skimmer (it's a Sealife Systems... not a top of the line skimmer, but it does what we need it to do) is a few inches below the start of the waste cup. This, of course, is all kind of relative, as I imagine that different brands and sizes of skimmers have different guidelines for the water level height. Any markings / brand name on it? Perhaps a pic would help ID the make, allowing for a better recommendation as to appropriate water level.

The 400w MH will be sufficient if you want to keep some of the more light demanding corals available (clams or an anemone, too). You could very well go with high light SPS corals. If your goal is mostly lower to medium light softies and/or LPS, you'd probably benefit from running a 20,000K bulb instead of a 10,000K - 15,000K bulb, or switching to a 250w MH system (may only require changing the ballast and bulb, depending on what you currently have).

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Like fsn77 said, most of the recommendations will be very relative--this is because it will differ not only from brand to brand, but from tank to tank, as well. Give it more time to break in and play around with the water level. Most standard venturis do best with the air intake 100% (though there are exceptions) while tweaking the water level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store