Archer fish tank mates.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
right now our (small) archers are in a 55 gal tank with lots of livebearers.. in a couple of weeks they're going to be moved to a 250 gallon tank. I'm wondering if the archers will eat the mollys when they're full grown.
From what i can tell now, there hasn't been any issues (they've been together about 6 months), but i know just because there hasn't been doesn't mean there never will be.

thanks!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
welll crap.

that ruins my whole plan.

*sigh*
well now i dont know what to do.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Not to highjack the thread, but would archers eat bumblebee gobies? this might change my future plans as well.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
are you sure lupin? archers are generally peaceful fish.

even so, if you want to be precautious, get the larger varity of molly (sailfin or lyretail)

as for the bumblebee gobies, I cant help you there. They seem like they're small enough to eat.....

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
yeah, my line of thought was that the archers generally seem to hover below the wate surface like an arowana, whereas the bbgs pretty much stick to the bottom half of the tank, so maybe there wouldn't be an issue...anyone with experience in this combination?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
all of our mollys are adult full size. (3 inches or so)
definitely smaller than the archers will be.. but still big enough to hold their own. I've been threatened with tank-takeover by my boyfreind though if the mollys get hurt (they're his favorite fish for some reason) so if there's a high risk, i don't want to even bother.

right now it seems like the mollys push the archers around more than anything.. but i know once that mouth gets big enough, it could easily be another story entirely.

what are some other archer tnak mate possibilities? besides monos and scats (i'm not a huge fan of either)

Gangstafish

gangstafish
Dec 10, 2006
long IslandNY
My archers don't eat fish. They eat crickets and frozen bloodworms. They have a variety of fish with them. Scats,monos,columbian shark cats,puffers,dragon gobies.

Picture 566.jpg Picture 528.jpg Picture 505.jpg Picture 441.jpg

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
yeah but that doesn't tell me about compatability... i tried that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store