Uncovered Aquariums Dangerous?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Is having multiple aquariums in a house dangerous as far as moisture/humidity and mold?

Take into mind that I live in Phoenix and the average relative humidity is 23%.

A "person" claims it is hard to breath due to the amount of moisture in the air inside our house.

How much, if any, moisture/humidity is bad? Is there a way to measure moisture/humidity?

I ask these questions referring to health and house condition.

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
What? Moisture doesn't usually hurt humans unless it is extreme. Aquariums do not put out much moisture. That "person" must be just a little bit sensitive is all...

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
What? Moisture doesn't usually hurt humans unless it is extreme.
No but mold does... And both mold and humidity can cause problems for people suffering from asthma (and mold will cause problems for almost everybody).

Aquariums do not put out much moisture.
It's not so much as how much moisture is being put out, but where that moisture is going after it is put out. You could cover every wall of your house with tanks and barely increase the humidity (provided you manage the humidity well)... or on the other hand you could technically destroy your house with a 29g tank (if absolutely nothing is combating the humidity - moisture is just accumulating).

Yes, you can get something to measure the humidity... Google "humidity meter". I do not know at what level it starts to become dangerous.

As far as wether or not having multiple aquariums is dangerous, if that's a yes or no question the answer is both... there's too many factors to take into account to say for sure.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just think of the moisture that comes from a hot shower or a pot of boiling water. The moisture from an aquarium should not be a cause for alarm. Most central ACs will remove excess moisture from the air.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Due to evaporation should large-indoor aquariums be covered?

I'm being told my aquariums need to be sealed 100%

Last edited:

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
They are safe. and If it aint broke don't fix it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store