(RF) Tortoise & (WT) Frog Hab. Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tiffany8433

AC Members
Sep 1, 2007
I have them in a 40 Terrarium/Tank together. They do well, but I'm always concerned about what's safe for both of them.

I bought Frog/Terrarium Moss today. I think it will help keep the humidity up, and I think Bob (Whites Tree Frog) alreayd loves it...but if Shamrock (Redfoot tortoise) tries to eat it, will she be okay?

Also trying to find the right kind of dish/thing to house their water. Shamrock needs to be able to soak in it too, (so about an inch deep), but get in and out easily. She has a hard time with the tuperwear dish I'm using now. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Yes, I would bury the dish in your substrate make it even with the top of the fill you put around it. I'll assume that Shamrock is your tortoise? I'd just place a sturdy ramp in the water dish so that she can haul out. I wouldn't worry too much about the tortoise eating moss it's pretty stringy and if she does get a bit most of it's non-toxic,"what sort are you using?"
hth
Max

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Mixing reptiles/amphibians is not really a good idea, particularly in such a small environment. Both animals carry different bacteria and germs that can make each other sick. Plus the animals could see each other as compition for food and this can stress them further. Your tortoise could easily hurt your frog as well. I’m sure you know that your RFT is going to need a much larger enclosure. If you live some place warm you can build a pen and leave your tortoise outdoors to graze. WTF’s need tall enclosures with plenty of climbing space. I'm guessing you’re keeping them in a 40 gallon breeder which is a long tank with really no height for a tree frog.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
yeah.....viciousfish is right, you're going to have to upgrade your tank soon.

Tiffany8433

AC Members
Sep 1, 2007
The cage/tank is about 2 ft deep, 2 ft tall and 4 ft wide/long. I know my tortoise is about to grow out of it, and I live in GA and plan on making an out door hab for her, but we're having a problem with fire ants, so I'm afraid they'll hurt her. The WT Frog seems to do good in the tank. I had him in a 10 gal oct tank that wasn't much higher...in both that and now this tank he mainly stays at the top in a corner. Both of them haven't acted any different since I've put them together, and I've really been watching. They also don't eat the same food (WTF-crickets once a week & RFT-tortoise food daily-veggies & fruit weekly) and don't bother each other. The frog comes down at night while the tortoise is in a covered area sleeping. I don't know...I'll continue to watch them and see. Both of these breads are very social, and after watching them them together it seemed fine to me. I'll look into eventually getting a taller tank for the frog. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I'll take all the suggestions I can get. Once it cools down in fall and winter, I can't leave the tortoise outside in that weather...so does anyone have any suggestions for that time (that's right around the corner)?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I recommend building any type of custom cage with plenty of floor space for you RFT. The more the better. That stinks about the fire ants. They can and will kill a small tortoise. But you should still try and keep your RFT outside as much as possible in the summer. I find that turtles and tortoises really thrive from natural sunlight. Below are some pics of my one box turtle enclosure to get some ideas from. Lucky for me they can live outdoors all year long so I don't have to worry about bringing them inside in the winter.

Turtle-Pen3.gif Turtle-Pen4.gif

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
wow! that looks great VF

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Awesome enclosure VF!!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Thanks for the compliments! I have 3 females and 1 male in there. I'm expecting a lot of eggs in the spring time. I grow the babies out for about a year and then release them. They aren't as common as they used to be around me. Every little bit helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store