What kind of puffer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
What kind of puffer is this?
http://www.****************/images_01/king_kong_puffer.jpg
Common name / Latin name

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Nope, it is the humpback, or black river puffer (t palembangensis). A FW puffer, not very active except when food's around. It is peaceful, not very agressive, easy-to-keep, interesting species that can be kept w/others of the same type (t suvattii) and/or fishes of other species that can look after themselves (e.g. large armoured catfishes). Spawns in captivity (a friend in Singapore is enjoying that).

(Taken from Ebert's book)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
At least the site Hebdizzle refs does give the real name of both the T. suattii and T. palembangensis, which is in itself remarkable. But King Kong indeed - we do not need another made-up common name for a puffer.

Not very active is over-stating the activity level IME. All but totally inert except when food is offered is closer to the case. They are a very effective predator which does not require much food or maintenance in relation to its size, due exactly to that low level of activity.

I would love to try breeding these puffers myself - their "look" is unusual, their inactivity is also unusual in realtion to the commoner active hunters, and they seem easy to keep.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Fish stores just make names up as they go. That's why it's so important to get the scientific names of fish.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I totally agree!!!!!
D*** it learn the fish if you are going to be selling them!
I can't wait until they have to start using L numbers or something like that.
One common name one latin name and THAT IS IT!

Like the local fish here in Lake Michigan, they call a freshwater drum a sheepshead and a bowfin called a dogfish. From reading books and watching the Discovery chanel I know a sheep head is salt water and usually has black and red stipe markings and a dogfish is a small type of shark and can be found in the Saint Lawernce Seaway.

freshwater drum

bowfin

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Wow, that bowfin is beautiful! Is that in Lake Michigan too? How come when I dive the lake all I see are boring crayfish?! :mad:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store