Rope fish help!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

azndragoon

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
I m about to get an rope fish, but i dont have a lot of infor on the fish. I did some advice on it.

azndragoon

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
helppppp

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
What size tank are you going to be putting it in? Rope fish love to get out of tanks, so you will ned to keep it well covered. Mine eat flakes and shrimp pellets. They will eat, or try to, slow moving fish such as bettas. They grow to arund 18 inches long i believe. They are mostly nocturnal, at least mine are.

You need a tank that has room for them to swim in. I would put them in no less than a 55 g.

Blue

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What size tank are you going to be putting it in? Rope fish love to get out of tanks, so you will ned to keep it well covered. Mine eat flakes and shrimp pellets. They will eat, or try to, slow moving fish such as bettas. They grow to arund 18 inches long i believe. They are mostly nocturnal, at least mine are.

You need a tank that has room for them to swim in. I would put them in no less than a 55 g.

Blue
:iagree:

"Always vary the diet" is my advice for you when you feed your fish. Bloodworms, shrimps, daphnia, brine shrimps, etc.:)

Good luck.:)

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
they grow to 36", they enjoy the company of other ropeys, they will try and jump, and when they do, may survive for a bit due to the labrynth organ.

they enjoy snacking on cardinal/neon tetras or any fish that fits in its mouth.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
they grow to 36", they enjoy the company of other ropeys, they will try and jump, and when they do, may survive for a bit due to the labrynth organ.

they enjoy snacking on cardinal/neon tetras or any fish that fits in its mouth.

Wow..36 inches.... :eek:

If I had of known as much as I know now through experience with them before I purchased them, I can honestly say I would have never gotten them. I feel they really should be left to a species tank.

Blue

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
just a couple of points
By scientific definition they have functional lungs and need to breathe atmosphic O2 from time to time
18-24'' is more common in aquaria and it will take some time to reach it

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I have a ropefish in my 55 had him for about a year now and he is right at about 12" I believe. He is VERY peaceful...stays under a piece of driftwood most of the time. He doesn't bother my other fish. I feed all my fish...flake food, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen krill and frozen Mysis Shrimp. I will occasionally throw in a few crickets, flies, worms what have you and my rope fish eats all of these things.

Prescu

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
I was wondering if anyone's had any experience keeping these guys in some PVC pipe under the substrate? I've seen some salt water tanks keep eels that way, and it takes up less room in the actual tank that way (I realize he needs to go up for air, and there's enough room in my tank for that and for him to swim around in but no more room for another rock structure or driftwood and I don't want him fighting some of the fish I already have). I've been wanting to get one but I'm afraid I don't have enough hiding places for it and thought that PVC piping would be a good way to give him his own big space. Any thoughts?

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I thought about using PVC for my Black Ghost Knifefish as well. Then I found a 'log' at my LFS. It is a 'floating log' and intended for a hiding place for fry, etc. But it looks like a real sunken log - but hollow of course.

I tied it to a big rock using fishing line and my BGK loves it. It is hollow so he can access it from either end, and it has several other openings along the sides. I know that he will eventually outgrow this, but for now it is his Cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store