Would this work for tank lighting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Yes, but you'd probably want to change the bulbs to a more "marine-ish" spectrum. Also, it would be better if you could get a a fixture with parabolic reflectors, wich greatly increases the effeciency of the fixture.

AshtonMitchell

AC Members
Aug 11, 2007
it would but i would get a different spectrum for the bulbs.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
one with individual reflectors would be MUCH better. and yes, youll ahve to replace the bulbs.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
There's nothing wrong with 6500k bulbs with actinic support. That's what the PC fixture i had had, and some of my corals were growing like crazy.

:)

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
There are T5 users that work a 6500K bulb into their set-up, even seen a few people using bulbs with a lower K rating than that (I think it was 3000K or 3500K). A reef tank running heavy on 6500K T5 bulbs will likely start to look pretty yellow, but bulb choice (to an extent) is as much about personal preference in regards to appearance as it is coral growth. It also depends on what corals are going to be in the tank.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, with the better tubes, bluer T5 lamps run almost as bright as their lower kelvin counterparts. Because of this, it almost boils down to a matter of personal taste. I think a mix of colors looks the most natural (more of a crisp white), whereas many others prefer the bluer look. I can bet that even the lower PAR higher end bulbs will outdo any one of those in that fixture. As far as the 3000K goes, it is great for color enhancement and PAR, but you need to have at least 6 bulbs to temper the color.

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
so what should i be looking for in a t5 light fixture?
i know single reflector for each bulb what else?
i dont have a canopy so i was looking for a unit type deal.
but i could make one if retro fit kit would be better but i kinda wanted to but i dont know anything about ballast or end caps, all this stuff i see lol...
educate me!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The best fixtures (or DIY retrofits) all include individual reflectors (FYI, IceCap SLR reflectors are the best in terms of punching light down) and active cooling via fans (very important, especially if you are overdriving--but still necessary normally, as it gives you a 20% light boost). Lastly, it boils down to bulb choice. Some lamps can have literally double (or more) light (in PAR) than other tubes--for this purpose, ATI, GE, and UVL bulbs are the better ones. Bulb choice is a matter of taste in the end, though, but the former factors are the most important in any fixture or retrofit kit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store