Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Information

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
For those of you who are interested in these beautiful fish, you should do as much research on them as possible before purchasing one. As juveniles they die very easily, many people have paid a good price just to have the fish die on them. I recommend if you want to purchase one to find one bigger than 3"-4", the bigger the better. The bigger they are the less chance of them dying. This fish is not a high bred, a scientist did some research on them and found them to be an actual Jack Dempsey, not an offbreed, or hybred.

These fish normally max out at these sizes

Females - 6"-8"
Males - 8"-10"

They are gorgeous fish, but have less of a temperment to them, they are not suggested for tanks with very aggressive fish (jaguars, dovii, etc...).

They are easy to care for and accept most food just like a regular Dempsey.

They need a tank 40g or larger, 55g or larger is preferable. Water parameters are the same as a regular Dempsey, but are more prone to diseases.

So please do your research before you buy this fish, or any fish for that matter.

scott-kim

AC Members
May 30, 2007
I picked up 3 that were around 1.75" awhile ago. I was power feeding them all kinds of foods and doing a water change twice a week. In 8 months they grow maybe 1/4" so I traded them in for a really nice 8" lyonsi
I always thought they got much smaller than regular dempseys.

Mike is a yellow convict a nanoluteus or another color var. of nigrofasciatus

scott-kim

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Yeah nanoluteus are nice, I got 8 for $6 at my local clubs auction.
Mine are very peaceful compared to other Cryptoheros and grew pretty slow but probably the nicest looking of the genus
You getting them from Rapps?

n0zqh

AC Members
May 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA

Got mine in a tank with a 1.25" convict and a 2" jaguar
The EBJDs are at 1.75" The convict rules the tank and all are getting along fine.

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
No im getting my Yellow Cons from a friend online who is a breeder at wildcichlids.net, and got some from an auction. He sells them for $12 each, but I paid a total of $48 for a pair of Yellow Cons, 8" Pictus Cat, and $20 for shipping Costs. So I paid $10 per yellow con, $8 for the pictus cat, then $20 to get them shipped.

Nice baby EBJD's I got my male at 6" and he terrorizes all the fish in his tank except the 2 hybred texas cichlids, but the texas get their own 55g this week, so my EBJD will have the run of the tank again.

n0zqh

AC Members
May 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
One con /F The only one in there and has not been a problem unless the EBJDs are in her face. I would have thought the Jaguar would have been more of a problem, but it don't come out unless I have my hand in the tank with blood worms or mysis shrimp. DOG GONE them hiding young Jaguars. I'm not saying that because I want problems, I just want to see my young Jag once in a while.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
For those of you who are interested in these beautiful fish, you should do as much research on them as possible before purchasing one. As juveniles they die very easily, many people have paid a good price just to have the fish die on them. I recommend if you want to purchase one to find one bigger than 3"-4", the bigger the better. The bigger they are the less chance of them dying. This fish is not a high bred, a scientist did some research on them and found them to be an actual Jack Dempsey, not an offbreed, or hybred.

These fish normally max out at these sizes

Females - 6"-8"
Males - 8"-10"

They are gorgeous fish, but have less of a temperment to them, they are not suggested for tanks with very aggressive fish (jaguars, dovii, etc...).

They are easy to care for and accept most food just like a regular Dempsey.

They need a tank 40g or larger, 55g or larger is preferable. Water parameters are the same as a regular Dempsey, but are more prone to diseases.

So please do your research before you buy this fish, or any fish for that matter.
thanks for the info..you are correct .they are just a color morph of the JD
there have been issues in the past with the EBJD's.

I also discovered that they do grow to adults..but seem to lose much of thier color from the ones I've seen. more of a duller blue coloration..but then again..that will most likely vary from spawn to spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store