MY FIRST REAL PLANTS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I have finally added real plants to my 100 Gallon tank. I got 4 tall sword pants and 2 onion plants. What i need to know is how do i take care of these and the swords have some stem/leaves that are reaching the surface of the tank. I placed these near but not too near the filter ( magnum 350 canister ). I was told the outflow near the plants is a good thing.When and how do you manacure these ? the 2 onion plants, i have on the other side of the tank up front in the corner and in the path of my sponge filter powerheads outflow and they flow gently with that current. I just need to know how to manicure these plants and when, and what additives should i add to the tank. The tank houses loaches, tetras, corys, a couple of tiger barbs ( old and slow) and a couple of guppies. OH, and a blood parrot fish who just lost it's mate after 2 years. The fish are not bothering the plants that i have observed, just enjoying swimming among them. One thing i noticed is the fish seem to have changed for the better with the addition to these plants, less shy or more active i should say.I had plastic amazon swords before which are now gone.

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Well, first make sure your parrot fish is well fed. They are plant eaters and movers.

The swords should be pruned from the base of the stem, without damaging the roots, when a leaf starts to change color from green to light green or brown. Within 2-3, days 2-3 new leaves will begin to grow if the environment is right.

The onion bulbs, the same except that the leaves take a little longer to grow back. When the leaves get too long you can trim them, but the tips will never be the same. I prefer to take them off one at a time and start with new leaf. Never take more than one undamaged old leaf off at a time and nevefr in the same time period. Lighting, plant foods and nutrients are essential to healthy plants so do your research or inquire further on AC. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store