Octopus tank (log)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
No octopus quite yet but here is the tank(50 gallon cycled). My camera is ancient and on its last legs so bear with me :)

Its no stunner but it gets the job done.

My octopus(briareus) should be here buy wednesday.
:mwave:

Coincidently it also my first day of school...theirs no way i'm going to be able to focus the first couple weeks:hypnotized:

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
Becuase of its size it likely wont be interested in the crabs, the damsel on the other hand is in danger. I cant make it to my LFS until the weekend and I don't have a spare tank so it will have to survive a couple of days (or be a welcoming dinner for the octo). I'm not too worried about him, hes peaty fast.

Last edited:

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
@Grins -Im anxious too, octos aren't the best shippers. They guy i ordered from has a very good reputation though, so i'm hoping for the best. If the damsel ends up stressing the octo i might have to remove the fish.

@Tank -mine will be a briareus. The octopus that is often sold as "common octopus" or "brown octopus" is usually valgarus. Valgarus require tanks in the 150 gallon range.

Last edited:

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
are there any fish that an octopus can be kept with?

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
are there any fish that an octopus can be kept with?
in general the answer is no. some people manage too but only buy luck, it depends on the individual octopus. Their are also some fish that are too fast to be cough but their is still a risk and its a stressful situation for a fish(and probably annoying to the octopus)

serpent stars seem to make good tank mates though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store