*sigh* I killed my shrimp, but how?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

willoughbyhun

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
I'm so sad. I woke up this morning and found my three Amano shrimp dead. They were so robust the morning before. No indication of illness. The 10-gallon tank's parameters seem ok. No ammonia.

The one thing I did yesterday is clean the algae from the walls of my planted tank, changed some water (used Prime) and placed Seachem fertilizer (potassium, micros, iron, phosphorus) in the tank. I heard Amanos might be sensitive to fertilizing, so I made sure not to exceed recommended dosage.

Might any of these have killed my little guys? And if I get more Amanos, how would I keep them alive if I fertilize my planted tank?

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
The ferts did it. Inverts can not stand fertilizers or medications as heavy metals are toxic to them. This includes iron and copper. I'm afraid you won't be able to keep shrimp in that tank any longer either as enough traces will remain to kill future shrimp.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
^ *Maybe* ^ it was ferts. Check the bottles or the Seachem web site for copper levels in the products you used. Shrimp are quite Cu sensitive.

That said, lots of people keep shrimp in planted tanks with & without CO2, with and without ferts. Gernerally speaking, poor water quality, Cu and predation tend to kill shrimp in aquariums.

willoughbyhun

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
Ah! Must have been the metals that did it. I'll check Seachem's web site.

I had no idea so little iron/Cu could kill them. They were so happy when I got them the Monday before last--about one day after I added the ferts, etc.

willoughbyhun

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
Dammit. The Flourish tabs and flourish trace and flourish have Cu.

I feel awful. Poor shrimp. I poisned them.

Anything else I should worry about?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
I'd try it again w/o any root tabs (remove them, do a huge water change or two), use the low end of the dosing scale for the liquid Flourish.

Start w/ ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp (both cheaper than Amanos). If you can keep those alive for a while, then go back to Amanos.

willoughbyhun

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
Squakbert, you're a gem. I'll def. start with ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp and move up again to Amanos. I still feel horrible about killing them. They were industrious little things.

-KT-

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.myspace.com
I have been using Flourish and now excel and so far my shrimp have been fine. But I use less than the recommended doses.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
This is a very good idea... Go very slowly w/ Ferts & inverts. I'd be inclined to pass on the root tabs in such a small tank. They're better suited to larger tanks w/ deep substrate & plants that have a definite need of root feedings (like Swords).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store