scale loss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
My daughter was given a goldfish which had been living in a pond. He had some scale loss when she got him which got worse. After a large water change (55 gal.) I haven't noticed any more scale loss and he's very happy. My questions are, will his scales grow back and what caused the scale loss? I've added a handfull of salt (diluted in water) and some melafix. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :)

lizzies

Silverfishes
Mar 13, 2006
North Wales (UK)
well all i know is that my fish loose scales all the time and they always grow back, never seen him actualy loose the scales... just happenes i guess...

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
I saved a koi once that had chunks of his flesh missing on both sides.... you could literally see his muscle tissue because he was missing his scales in parts and that much skin. I kept the water parameters all good in the tank he was in, gave him some maracyn and maracyn 2 I believe just so he didn't get any infections or fungus.... but his skin definitely healed and his scales grew back. Fish can regrow fins and scales if they are damaged. Just make sure to keep an eye out that they don't look bloody or start to get covered in fungus. Otherwise he should be ok :) I've heard good things about melafix, so you're probably good using that just to treat him.

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. After a large water change he does seem better. I haven't noticed more scale loss and he's very active and feeding well. I've added 2 filters to the tank to keep the water perfect for him. There was significant scale loss by his tail but there's no infection or fungus and it's not getting worse so hopefully he's on the mend. Thanks again.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Good deal! It sounds like you're doing the right thing - keeping the water super-clean to prevent infection. Keep adding the aquarium salt - not table salt, that's important - to help him heal up. Check to see if there's a dosage to help heal fish illness on the carton. Cut the dosage in half for goldfish and it should definitely help. :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store