ghost shrimp eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rmp206

AC Members
Aug 3, 2007
I just bought some ghost shrimp and noticed the largest one has what look like tiny little black circles underneath it what could they be?

leesst200

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Notts, UK
I had a few ghost shrimps, some of them had eggs, but they didnt look black. They had like a small clump of eggs underneath their body, like a whiteish colour.
Nothing ever came of them because one day my big angel had a feeding frenzy, went wild and killed most of the shrimps just to eat the eggs they were carrying!:wall:

rmp206

AC Members
Aug 3, 2007
i had a feeling they were eggs but wasnt sure. i only have a few small fish in my tank so mabey some of them will survive..

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
When the eggs are just about to hatch they are kind of translucent, with black spots where the eyes of the young are visible.

ehofehof

AC Members
Nov 22, 2007
Ghost Shrimp eggs ?

D they carry them untill they hatch or do they lay them?
Did you find an answer for that?

I'm totally new at aquarium stuff, and I've had a few Ghost Shrimp in an 10g tank (with no fish) for about a week.

Tonight I noticed a cobwebby mass with white dots under the heater and attached to a fake driftwood ornament.

I don't know what to make of it. It looks kinda like a mass of frog eggs. Too big (about an inch across) for a single shrimp to have produced.
Do I actually have Shrimp eggs, or do I just have some kind of fungus invading my tank?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Tonight I noticed a cobwebby mass with white dots under the heater and attached to a fake driftwood ornament.

I don't know what to make of it. It looks kinda like a mass of frog eggs. Too big (about an inch across) for a single shrimp to have produced.
Do I actually have Shrimp eggs, or do I just have some kind of fungus invading my tank?
Any pictures? Do you have snails? They don't sound like shrimps to me. Chances are this could be molds forming from leftover foods. How much and how often do you feed? What are your water parameters?

:welcome: to AC!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Shrimp carry their eggs until they hatch, so any clutches of eggs are not from a shrimp. Probably snail eggs if you have snails.

ehofehof

AC Members
Nov 22, 2007
Any pictures? Do you have snails? They don't sound like shrimps to me. Chances are this could be molds forming from leftover foods. How much and how often do you feed? What are your water parameters?
to AC!

I got faked out!

I didn't want to disturb the mass in case it might actually be shrimp eggs but tonight I saw a similar mass in a different place, growing on one of those Walmart Apon bulbs. So I moved the other one away from the fake driftwood, and sure enough it's the same thing.
It looks like it's trying to bud. Is it dangerous to the shrimp to leave there?
I only have 2 or 3 Ghosts right now, but I'm planning on adding a few more and a pair of Plecos to that tank. (And maybe a few other kinds of shrimp if I don't kill those off too quickly.)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Do you have pictures, ehofehof? I have a hard time imagining what you are describing. They actually don't sound like shrimp eggs to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store