How to Help Us Help You

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Note: This is copied in the General Freshwater Forum as well. Further replies in either location will show up in one location only!

Just a few pointers to help people use these forums to their best advantage.

1) Use the search feature! This forum has a lot of activity, and while you might think your problem is unique, it's possible that someone else has gone through either the same thing, or something similar. New, fresh topics get more attention than another iteration of "My fish have ich". The same advice given in one thread is likely to be repeated in response to the same question. Searching the internet is often helpful as well, especially when looking for the ingredients of a product, or a species profile. The information members here can best provide is experience, or confirmation on product performance. Making members here do your search for you is plain lazy! :D

2) Meaningful titles. There's limited space, but a title such as "Help!" really won't bring people running. Something along the lines of "Little Brother Dumped Perfume into Food, Dump it?" will get a much better response.

3) Use the appropriate forum for your thread. There are different expectations in the Newbie forums than the general forums.

4) Post relevant information. Tank parameters are always useful (size, last water change, any conditioners, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, tank occupants, and changes to anything in the tank within the last 2 weeks), and you'll be asked for them. If you do not have test kits, say so! Making up numbers helps no one, your fish least of all.

I'm leaving this open so members can help identify any additional advice they have to help people get the best out of this forum.

Last edited:

Fishsmurf

I'm not as cute as this....
Nov 27, 2002
Bahrain
Visit site
One other thing that springs to mind. If / when you get advice or asked for further information please respond & let people know how things are progressing / the outcome.

I spend a lot of time reading / posting here & at a few other places. I find it frustrating when you see a lot of people contribute their time / resources / energy to help some-one with a question or problem out only for that person not to acknowledge that effort or respond to the simplest question. It's also incredibly frustrating not to know the outcome of the situation, did the Ich get cleared up, did the tank get cycled ok, was the compatibility issue resolved etc etc..... (that might just be me though, I worry about these things :rolleyes: )

I appreciate that people don't do this for reward or recognition but the courtesy to say thanks or to update people on result is just that "a courtesy".....

Sorry to be a gripe but (patronising voice)

Good manners cost nothing..... :)

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
First is their is a DIY forum and its never busy all your tank size,lighting,filter prob questions all will get help there.

Some other usefull bits of info
Temp and is it a stable temp?
Do you add salt and how much?
When was you last fish addition?
Added any meds lately?
Active carbon or not?

List ALL your fish even the goldfish with your discus :rolleyes: Be honest with EVERYTHING or we cant help or make it worse if we try.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope--I used some creative liberties. ;) Hopefully everyone knows the contaminated food should be thrown out.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Thanks, OG, for getting this up here!!! I am definitely happy to see that we are asking these questions ahead of time, so maybe people will provide more info with their predicaments!

(I know that this happened a month ago, but I hadn't been on!)

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
IMO, it would be great to see this sticky find it's way to the Newbie forum as well...;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store