TANG STOCKING QUESTIONS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
I just went on vacation for two weeks, during this time my dwarf lion died under the care of the house keeper. The tank is empty except for a small serpent star an a plaugue of emerald green algae. Because my family plans to travel in the future I need to get a fish that is not carnivorous (I think the death was food related because the house keeper said the water perameters were good). The idea I had was to get a yellow tang and a large quantity of crustaceans. The problem is that I am not sure that it will fit in my 55 gallon. So I am wondering if it doesn't fit what colorful fish would fill that sort of niche? Thank you.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I don't think a tang in a 55 is a very good idea at all. They love to swim and need lots of space . Added to the fact that your fam plan on traveling and leaving your fish under the care of your housekeeper. I'd just stick to small community s.w. fish for the time being," you could also get more than one." Decide on what you're interested in and let us know I'm sure you'll get heaps of feed back.
hth
Max

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have a yellow in a 55. I had a lot of mixed advise on it and decided to go with it. It is still relatively small but I regret it in retrospect. But I also want a bigger tank. He'll get a new home either via me upgrading or trading him with someone in my club. Not that I recommend anyone go into getting one with that as the plan. For me it was a lesson learned thing.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Probably not a good idea unless you will be upgrading your tank in the near future. If you want something with color go with a dwarf angel. Lots of personality in coral, but it is possible they will mess with your corals.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
sally light foot crabs eat algea. so do most snails. Fish wise there are many Many MANY fish you could do try posting a wish list and we can go from there.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
I won't comment on the yellow in 55... I've done it myself but not sure how happy the tang was... I wouldn't do it again.

As far as your follow-up question on a colorful fish, how about a nice dwarf angel? Like flame or potters.. or maybe coral beauty?

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
I won't comment on the yellow in 55... I've done it myself but not sure how happy the tang was... I wouldn't do it again.

As far as your follow-up question on a colorful fish, how about a nice dwarf angel? Like flame or potters.. or maybe coral beauty?
Thanks for the tang advice I will not do that now. The dwarf angels do look nice, but when I look them up they are not always described as hardy and tend to lean towards medium maintenence. Would they be suited at all for a house keeper?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
All fish need to survive while your gone is a stable environment and some food.

Get yourself an auto feeder and an auto top off unit, and get your tank going as automated as possible. Then, when you need to leave, your housekeeper is really supplemental, and more there for monitoring than anything else.

Doesn't matter what kind of fish, your temp goes up 10 degrees, or someone doesn't top off and salinity changes dramatically and it's floatin' time.

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
Okay I have another idea for the tank.

1 bicolor angel
1 black ocellaris
1 horseface blennie
2 hi fin red banded gobies
2 banded coral shrimp
2 pistol shrimp
1 emerald crab
2 hermits
1 arrow crab
1 serpent star (already there)
Do you guys think it's overcrowded or see any conflicts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store