Discus Ready to Breed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Two of my Discus are "cleaning" a small portion of glass in the tank. They seem to be doing a wierd 'shimmy dance'. Just wondering if this is a sign of breeding??

fish_e_o

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Canada
Visit site
yes your discus are preparing to spawn the "shimmy dance" is the male showing his dominance and the cleaning of the glass is where the are going to lay their eggs. good luck!!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Are they matching types, Joe? Or are they 2 different colours? Which ones? (hope it's the blues) I know nothing about discus, do same coloured discus tend to stick together in the world of fishy love?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
(last post didn't seem to post..)

Two orange color Discus have paired. The 'dance' is not going on all the time, just ocassionally. Never bred Discus, or thought they would.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Yes they are at least "pairing up" This behavior may go for a couple of months before there is any spawning if they are young. Are the fish in a tank of their own? If not you may want to move them because discus are not very good at defending their spawns in a community setting.

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
get a spawning cone if you dont have 1 and place in the nearest corner to the glass their cleaning it makes it alot easier for them to breed but congrates ur gunna be a grandfather lol

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Deb2
.... Are the fish in a tank of their own? If not you may want to move them because discus are not very good at defending their spawns in a community setting.
I have 8 Discus and some SAE's. Is this OK? :confused:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Dragon_Lord_Tia
get a spawning cone if you dont have 1 and place in the nearest corner to the glass their cleaning it makes it alot easier for them to breed but congrates ur gunna be a grandfather lol
Thanks!

I thought about the spawning cone, but thought it's too late.
If not -- where would I get one? Wonder if LFS's would actually have that? Or, is it back to the catalogs...?

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
If you want the fry to live your best bet is to move them to their own tank. I use 29 gallons for pairs but you can use a 20. I like the 29 gallon better so I can put in some plants, I don't like the looks of BB tanks. If you go with a 20 you should leave it as a BB to keep clean. Fry tanks I use 10 gallon tanks then 50s. I keep them as BBs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store