Plants in a turtle tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
I have an idea of how to put plants in a turtle tank (if you have a small turtle and do not need the tank filled up almost to the top).

I have a 55gal tank and a 4in. or so turtle, so what I was thinking was I could have the tank filled up to about 12in. or so which would leave about 8in. of above water space...space that the turtle wouldnt be able to get to except for on the docking side.

I want to get some corkbark or driftwood branches of some kind and seal them onto the sides of the tank (or maybe sealed to something alittle less permenant but stable) and then I could pack on some dirt (or the stuff that looks like dirt, can't remember what its called but i have lots) using a safe sealant, then I could have air plants or vine plants, mossy type plants that will make the wood green and full of life.

I could also make another "dock" on the other end but have it to where the turtle couldn't actually use it to dock and then I could place some plants on it (some type of plants that would grow upward and not down into the water where the turtle would destroy it. And if all else fails I could get some plastic plants and vines and wrap them around the wood and plant them into the dock area but I would rather go for the real ones.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Sounds good I guess. Just remember that many species of house plants such as Pothos are very poisonous. Make sure your turtle can't reach them or eat any leaves that fall into the water. Also, vines the hang into the water can make convenient escape ladders for turtles. Trust me, I know this from experience!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'd rather use all the available space for swimming room for the turtle...it will appreciate it.

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
Yeah I wouldnt let it touch the water. But how would a turtle climb up a small fragile vine plant anyway without the vine breaking off?

Compared to what it use to be in, the turtle would appreciate a 12in. deep 48X12 space of water. That seems like alot of swimming space to me for a 4in. turtle. The height only needs to be twice as deep as the turtle is long (or wide, can't remember which but either way its around 4in. which means it would have 3x as deep of water).

Anyone know what plants AREN'T poisonous...or which ones ARE. And I'm just talking about above water plants nothing in the water. I want some plants that stay small.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Yeah I wouldnt let it touch the water. But how would a turtle climb up a small fragile vine plant anyway without the vine breaking off?

Compared to what it use to be in, the turtle would appreciate a 12in. deep 48X12 space of water. That seems like alot of swimming space to me for a 4in. turtle. The height only needs to be twice as deep as the turtle is long (or wide, can't remember which but either way its around 4in. which means it would have 3x as deep of water).

Anyone know what plants AREN'T poisonous...or which ones ARE. And I'm just talking about above water plants nothing in the water. I want some plants that stay small.
My Eastern Painted turtles climbed out when English Ivy (a poisonous plant, but the turtles never ate it I guess) grew into their pond while I was in college. 3 out of 5 managed to climb out. I found one of them in another one of my ponds, so in the end I lost 2.

Just remember, the more swimming space the better! These water turtles live in lakes, ponds and rivers, not mere gallons. The more space the better. Have Sploke show you how big they get. He has a nice link to a picture you'll like!

It's tricky finding out what plants are poisonous and what are not. Most plants listed are poisonous to mammals, so their toxins may or may not effect reptiles. I know African violets are harmless and easy to grow, so you could give them a try! Here’s a link that may help you out: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants.html

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
My Eastern Painted turtles climbed out when English Ivy (a poisonous plant, but the turtles never ate it I guess) grew into their pond while I was in college. 3 out of 5 managed to climb out. I found one of them in another one of my ponds, so in the end I lost 2.

Just remember, the more swimming space the better! These water turtles live in lakes, ponds and rivers, not mere gallons. The more space the better. Have Sploke show you how big they get. He has a nice link to a picture you'll like!

It's tricky finding out what plants are poisonous and what are not. Most plants listed are poisonous to mammals, so their toxins may or may not effect reptiles. I know African violets are harmless and easy to grow, so you could give them a try! Here’s a link that may help you out: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants.html

I know how big they get but for right now its still small and a tank would probably be harder to escape from than a pond..especially when I'm going to have it covered. And yeah they live in lakes, ponds, rivers...but saltwater fish live in the ocean and we still put them in tanks.

Viettxboii

AC Members
Aug 3, 2007
Edmonton Alberta Canada
to dffernet degrees if you remember each fish and animal has different reuirements, and fish and turtles have different requirements so why are you bringing up a saltwater tank, which many peopel properly care for.
And if you keep in that tank he could end up stunted, and if your ackknowledging the fact that they live in lakes rivers, etc, why dont you take the advice and leave the swimming room.

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
to dffernet degrees if you remember each fish and animal has different reuirements, and fish and turtles have different requirements so why are you bringing up a saltwater tank, which many peopel properly care for.
And if you keep in that tank he could end up stunted, and if your ackknowledging the fact that they live in lakes rivers, etc, why dont you take the advice and leave the swimming room.

If I filled it all the way up there wouldn't be a basking area.....

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Scroll down, there are some good examples of above-the-tank basking areas. I built one, and it was great becasue it allowed me to fill the tank up all the way and still have 6" or so of airspace for the turtles to bask, as well as having something to put the lights on top of. What kind of turtle is this, anyway?

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/housing.htm

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Oh yeah, here's what the cute little green turtles turn into eventually...thats a female, a solid 12" SCL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store