Chem-Marin Stop Hair Algae...effective?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sapp

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
Hi everyone,

was wondering if anyone has tried Chem-Marin Stop Hair Algae additive before and if its effective? Any side effects on fishes and corals?

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Generally those types of additives aren't that effective, but I have no personal experience with it. How old is your tank? Are you using RO/DI or tap water?

Sapp

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
My tank is about 3 months old and I am using DI water since day 1. PO4 is less than 0.01ppm (almost non detectable). NO2 is about 0.01ppm and NO3 is 0.02ppm. Rocks has been with me for about 2 years so I am quite sceptical that PO4 is still leaching from the rocks.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Most of those treatments are not 100% reef safe, even the ones that claim to be so.

If you have a nuissance algae problem, there is more NO3 and PO4 in your tank than what is being measured in the water (what are you using to measure NO3 down to that level, btw?). Testing the water only measures the nutrient concentrations available in the water, not what any algae has taken up. It's just as easy to have a tank with nuissance algae and have elevated NO3 / PO4 as it is to have a tank with barely measureable NO3 / PO4. To ultimately reduce the total amount of nutrients in the tank, removal of the nuissance algae is required. Otherwise, as any of it dies, is killed by a treatment, or is eaten, the nutrients are just recycled within the tank and made available again for more algae to grow.

Sapp

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
Thanks fsn77. I used Tropic Marin test kits to test for NO2, NO3 and PO4. Talking of which, I need to get a new set for the NO2/NO3. Current kit is about past its expiry date.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I added a lawnmower blenny to my tank a couple of days ago and he hasn't stopped eating my hair algae since I put him in there. lol...he has a bottomless pit for a stomach and it's hilarious watching him tear off pieces to eat. I should have added him weeks ago. :rolleyes:

AshtonMitchell

AC Members
Aug 11, 2007
Do you have a red hair algae problem? We successfully removed a really really thick bad case which had engulfed his whole tank with a much smaller bottle of powdered stuff. It was in a thumb sized bottle with a small scoop inside I will try to get the name of it for you.

Sapp

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
Do you have a red hair algae problem? We successfully removed a really really thick bad case which had engulfed his whole tank with a much smaller bottle of powdered stuff. It was in a thumb sized bottle with a small scoop inside I will try to get the name of it for you.
If you mean cynobacteria, then yes but only a very small portion where there is very low current flow. I have that powdered stuff you are talking about. Think its the red slime remover from UltraLife. However, I am trying to remove all these nuisance algae without dosing any chemicals. Don't want to affect the water conditions.

Sapp

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
I added a lawnmower blenny to my tank a couple of days ago and he hasn't stopped eating my hair algae since I put him in there. lol...he has a bottomless pit for a stomach and it's hilarious watching him tear off pieces to eat. I should have added him weeks ago. :rolleyes:
Thanks. Will try to scout for 1 at the LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store