Low-light plants- can they only handle low light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
So i have a question about low light plants because i have stuff like java moss growing in all kinds of tanks. (well, some growing, some hanging on, some anorexic)
My question is- should you only give low light plants low light? are they not able to handle higher amounts of light? java moss in one of my tanks with a fluorescent tube for lighting isn't doin so hot. but in another tank, a 10 gal that's only lit with a 5500k screw-in spiral cfl, the moss is becoming a monster. also, in my 20 gal that's lit by 2 9325k 17 watt 24", a 3500k 20 watt plant light 18", and a 6500k daylight 18", the moss hasn't made much progress, it's just a dark green color. doesn't look like it's dying, but it doesn't look like it's growing either.
So should i upgrade to higher light plants? or even *gasp* cut down on my lighting?

Volenti

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Australia
Low light plants are generally fine in high light, though some can suffer from excessive algae growth on the leaves, it's possible the the java moss in the high light tank has run out of a needed trace element or CO2 (the other fast growing plants having sucked it up quickly) and is simply dormant untill the needed element becoms available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store