Is This A Mistake?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Recently I set up a 29 gal and will be moving some of the residences to a 75 in the next month or so.

I have 2 Blue/Green Chromis,Ocelerous Clownfish and a Blue Hippo Yellow Belly Tang.
Today I purchased a Purple Pseudochromis and the owner of the LFS said he thought it would be ok with my current fish. After readig up on this fish when I got home
( I know,should have done it prior) I see this fish can be agressive.
Did I mess up? I don't even have him in the tank,I am still acclimating him but now I am worried.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I personally would not....not with the ammount of fish you already have in the tank...maybe not so bad when all is over into the larger 75...

Just an opinion of course...

Niko

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
You probably should have waited until you added your Tang to your 75G and got him settled in nicely. The last thing you want is your Tang getting stressed out due to fish aggression/new home and introducing ich to your new tank.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Yup. I agree it probably shouldn't be in the 29. Dottybacks are pretty darn mean.. especially to species that have similar long body shapes. I think they MIGHT be okay with the chromis/clown/tang you have there... When I had one, it only picked on ones with long body shapes like Gobies and Blennies. But who knows... it might still pick on the fish you have already.

I would wait til your 75's up and running. Once you do, make sure you have plenty of rocks and hiding places as these guys don't bother others as much while they're in their own little caves.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
It won't actually kill any of the other fish,right?
It may just harass them if they come into it's terrority ?
So far the purple pseudo mostly hides in the rocks.
If I see its a problem the LFS told me he would swap him out,although I think it would be tough to catch him without removing the rock.
Here is a picture of the current set up.
It also seems that the Tang has established it's terrority @ the oppisite side of the tank,but has gone over where the purple pseudo hangs. Yesterday the Tang went to nibble on some algae on the rocks in the purple guys area,and the pseudo split.

Salt Tank 004.jpg Salt Tank 006.jpg Salt Tank 007.jpg

Marcus Fenix

bicolor anglefish-one of my favs
Jul 21, 2007
Canada
just an observation...isn't the 29gal kinda small for the blue tang?

how is he doing in the 29gal???

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Well.. to answer your first question, I don't know if it will literally kill the other fish (i.e. by physically harming it.), but if it harasses enough, then the other fish could die from stress.

Blue tang IS unfit for 29g. But since you mentioned you will be upgrading to larger tank, I think it might be okay.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
just an observation...isn't the 29gal kinda small for the blue tang?

how is he doing in the 29gal???

He actually seems to be doing rather well,so far.
He will be moving to the 75 gal as soon as it is ready

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
IF you have a 75 I'd get a few more chromis.

I most likely will.
Actually my 1st thought was to keep the Chromis in the 29and keep that tank as either a quarantine or hospital tank,not sure yet.I would like a small school of Chromis though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store