If I were to build a stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Ok, if I was to build a stand myself for my 75g which is 60"Lx15"W(if I remember correctly) it's been a while since I measured it, the W could be off now that I think about it, seems like it was 13".

Anyway if I were to build this myself, could anyone tell me about how much I would have to spend on wood & what would be the best/inexpensive wood to use??

My cousin was suppose to build it in Feb. I was going to do it myself then and he was like, why buy the supplies for it I could just make it with scraps from work (he is a welder) and it would last forever he said. Well here is is now Sept. still nothing, Nada, zilch so I figure to heck with it, If I can I'll just build it myself!

Thank you,

Gin

mademperor

Go Go Rock Bass!
Jul 5, 2007
Buffalo, NY
75g is 48"x18"
Pine/maple/oak are all decent bets

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
This one is 60L, I know they are usually 48"L but this one is WAAAAY longer. I had already paid the guy for it and wasn't home when he brought it to my house I was VERY surprised when I seen it!

Opps forgot to add are those woods very expensive?

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Oh yeah now that I've thought about it, it was 13"W b/c I was surprised that it was only 1" wider then my 55...I know it is a very odd size but that is what it is I swear

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
wood

Pine is by far the cheapest but it isn't the prettiest either. If I were going to make one I would use oak. Price depends on where you are, usually pine is 1\2 to 1\3 the price of oak though. If you aren't experienced at woodworking I wouldn't attempt your first try with oak because if you mess up you could ruin a very expensive piece of wood[ the oak veneer plywood]. I would be happy to help you in any way just send me a pm.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Thanks that would be great! Right now I am just looking into what all I would need obviously I'd need at least 4 60" long pieces, and I figure at least 6 13"long (2 on each end and 2 in the middle right), then I'd need 6-10 however tall I want it. 4-8 for the ends and 2 for the middle. Does that sound about right? I am going to go to the hardware store here in town and see how much that would be. I may not even be able to do it right now or may have to just get a few pieces at a time. But I have to do something it is driving me nuts having this tank is storage for so long!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
just keep in mind when making a sketch and figuring out measurements that 2x4's are NOT actually 2 inches by 4 inches.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I would make the frame out of pine, then if you go further with it cover it with oak or cherry or whatever.

Its a lot cheaper then you think. Don't forget plywood for the stand top,I also added a piece on the bottom for a shelf. I used 3/4 inch.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
1 and 3/4 by 3 and 3/4

But you'll be mostly dealing with length anyway so don't sweat it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store