Mail order fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I have often seen web sites selling fish mail order, i have never bought fish this way before because i worry unnessessary stress is put onto the fish.

Will the fish regain any colours they may have lost due to stress? Are they more likely to get stress related illnesses? Is it safe to buy fish this way? Have people had trouble with fish they bought mail order? How do they prevent tropical fish getting cold in transit?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
yes they will get their colors back, the fish are (usually) shipped overnight and with special care so they dont get *all that* stressed,

ilnesses are certainly possible, but not certain.. depends where you order them from.

some people have trouble, it depends on where you order them from.

and they ship them with heat packs for temp control if needed.

i know liveaquaria.com is a good place to order from.. i'm sure other people could recommend some other places.. if you find a place that you want to ask about, feel free and if any of us have had experience we can let you know.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I have often seen web sites selling fish mail order, i have never bought fish this way before because i worry unnessessary stress is put onto the fish.

Will the fish regain any colours they may have lost due to stress? Are they more likely to get stress related illnesses? Is it safe to buy fish this way? Have people had trouble with fish they bought mail order? How do they prevent tropical fish getting cold in transit?
not to be annoying or rude, but how do you think your local fish stores get their fish? unless they buy only from people in the area, all fish are mail-order.

colors will come back as soon as stressful conditions are removed. Recently shipped fish can be more prone to illness or carry diseases, but using a quarantine tank for new arrivals will make it easier for you to spot diseases and treat them without putting any of your older fish in danger.

yes it is safe, if you buy from a respected dealer. i have bought fish twice over ebay and aquabid, and bought snails a couple times as well. no problems. some people do have trouble with certain businesses, but i won't name any unless you say you're going to buy from them. good sellers will use heat packs in cool weather, and ice/cold packs in warmer weather so the temperature doesn't become dangerous.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Its no different than how the fish stores get them, its less streeful alot of the time if the place they are coming from this where they were bred, becuase they dont move from breeder to fishstore to owner, just breeder to owner. It it also less streeful becuase they arent packed in with as many fish as they do for sending them to the stores. I just got shrimp mail order, and they are great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store