largest size cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
i was wondering about a couple of species and how bid they can get in the wild. dovii and jaguars.

has anybody seen any records listed for these two species? ive really been taking a strong interest in jaguars in particular. they remind me of some black crappie genetic experiment gone bad with their coloring and appearance.

these will sound like strange questions, but are these fish considered sport fish in their native lands? i would imagine they would be excellent fighters. and i wonder if they would taste good? there's the black crappie thing coming out again. theyre one of my favorite panfish. just thinking out loud again....

anybody know of any other record size cichlids? hopefully one day ill have a set up large enough to accomodate a jag.

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
Peacock bass, which I believe is a cichlid is concidered one of the top sport fish in central america - I think that one and the dovii may well be the biggest. I have read some reports about 30"+ which should put them in 15-30lb class depending on how fat they are and if they are ready to spawn.(just my guess)

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
Outa the two u said i think the dovii is definitly the bigger out of the two. i don't know the max size of a dovii, but i know it gets pretty big. jags get big. they max out at around 18in. making them a pretty good cichlid for a 75g tank. peacock bass and any other bass get huge. i think most max out at around 3ft.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
I am pretty sure BigOh is right. MAN would I love to have a tank for a group of microlepis.

I have also heard of a 36" peacock bas but... never once seen a picture. Cichla temensis are the big boyz.

Boulengerochromis microlepis, is consistantly large in size. Cichla have a wider range of sizes.

Ad Konings himself deemed this the largest cichlid at 70cms and larger.

ttl

Last edited:

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Lake Tang rules!

Originally posted by blee358
Outa the two u said i think the dovii is definitly the bigger out of the two. .... jags get big. they max out at around 18in. ... peacock bass and any other bass get huge. i think most max out at around 3ft.
Although dovii get big, they can breed at a smaller sizes. In other words, they don't need to be 2 feet long to mate. I have seen 20-21" dovii but nothing longer. I'm sure they can get 28", but they grow really slowly once they hit large sizes.

Peacock Bass need to be large in order to breed. Peacock bass, fly up in size. I mean they grow with Oscar like speed. 24" in the aquarium is a realistic size for Cichla. All though Fishbase.org has the C. temensis listed at 99cm. I feel its like stories of 30ft SA snakes. They just don't exsist.

You are right Jags get big. IMO bigger than alot of people give them credit for. I have seen 22" Jags. Give them time and the tank space and you will grow a monster. The particular fish I am refering to is at a local aquarium. Its really old.

Remember although Cichla look like bass (small mouth), bass themselves are not cichlids so they can't be considered. I would pay to see a 3 foot Cichla.

24" Boulengerochromis microlepis are caught all the time.

ttl

Last edited:

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
The IGFA record for cichla t. appears to be 27lbs !! It didn't list the length , however the record largemouth(which I believe is much plumper and fatter is around 22lbs and over 24") and a 27lb striped bass (which I think seems more of the cichla shape, maybe slightly skinnier) usually runs around 40+ ". So 36" seem about right.

What size tank do you put that in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store