Goldfish is sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chsscott

AC Members
Aug 19, 2007
One of my goldfish is sick. His insides are black. No pics at the moment, but he's been like this for about 3 days. I bought some antibiotics at the pet store, but I don't think it's helping.

It doesn't appear to be ammonia burn. I had the water tested and it's fine. Ph, ammonia, and something else is fine.

Any ideas? I don't want the goldfish to suffer any more if he's going to die, is there a way to humanely as possible kill the fish?

lizzies

Silverfishes
Mar 13, 2006
North Wales (UK)
get a damp cloth and wrap the fish in it, then put it in the freazer. it will cool the fish and slow it down untill it goes unconcious and then dies.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
lizzies, this is generally not recommended since there is no research to show that freezing won't cause pain to the fish.

the best method is to use clove oil. do a search of the forums and you'll come across many threads with the best method, that is, if you DO want to euthanize the fish.

otherwise, do you have a photo so we can see what "black insides" means?

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Sorry about your goldfish.. pix would help.
Also, is he acting normal?
Do you know the exact params of your water?

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
I had to euthanise one of my orandas this morning and used clove oil. It put him gently to sleep and eventually he overdosed and his gills and mouth stopped moving

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Clove oil is great, but if you're having trouble finding it, some hard alcohol does the trick aswell. I used some cold vodka with a 70% alcohol content to euthansize one of my goldies.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I wouldn't do the vodka, my friend tried it with one of her tetras and he didn't die right away, he had time to thrash around and attempt to jump out, this was pure vodka.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store