Help... sinking fish! Swim bladder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
I have a female swordtail who started swimming oddly the other day and now it seems several of the fish in the tank (mostly platys now) are doing the same. If they are actively swimming, they seem to look pretty normal - but when they stop, they pretty much sink towards the bottom of the tank. I don't know how to treat them or if I need to try and QT them. I only see the sense in QT'ing them IF it's something contagious and/or treatable. Am I wrong? I have treated with Melafix, but don't know what else to try. Anyone ever have something like this? If so what did you do or not do, and did it work or not?

Thanks in advance, I hate to see this spread if it's contagious!

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
Can you post your water readings of ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates? And how long has the tank been setup? Please post these info to make it easier for other people to assist you :)

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Sorry! I've been around this board long enough to know I needed to add that info :wall:

Ammonia: 0, Nitrate: 5, Nitrite: 0 - tank has been set up and problem free for about 2.5 years. Very heavily planted (thus the good params), and the temp is pretty constant at around 78 degrees.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
This is possibly swim-bladder disorder, which can be the result of an injury, dietary issues or a bacterial infection.

As it seems to have spread in your tank, it is more likely to be bacterial or diet related. Treatment is pretty tough unfortunately. You could try pimafix, which is anti-bacterial, or, for a stronger approach, a broad spectrum anti-biotic (I believe maracyn is available in the States).

If diet is a problem (what do you feed btw ?) you could try and feed some mushed up peas, or add epsom salt to the tank (yes it works on fish too lol). In a 29 gallon tank I believe 3 quarters of a teaspoon weekly or following water changes is about right (as always please correct me if I am wrong in these folks).

I would not reccomend attempting multiple treatments as this is unduly stressful. If you are happy with their diet, I would try mela and pima for a week and if no improvement consider maracyn.

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Thanks - I'm doing Melafix now - and I feed a broad diversity of things and it's always been fine - I don't use the "wardley cheap crap" food, but always get the good brands for quality food. I'll pick up some Pimafix and try that - then as you suggested (unless someone has other ideas), do the maracyn as a last resort. Thanks much.

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
HELP!! I now have an Emperor Tetra with an ugly parasite on it's side! My tank has been wonderful for years, and without putting anything new in it (that I can see or remember anyway), it's falling apart!

I have 7 tanks that all get the same foods, and none of the others are having problems.

One thing it could be?? I had a fish die in there several days back, and it was in there decaying for several days because I saw it once, then before I could get it out, it "moved" (water and fish currents I guess), into some of the heavily planted areas and I just couldn't find it. For several days, I thought the snails had eaten it - then after about 5 days, it "came" to the front of the tank in a place where it could be seen and picked out. It was a smaller dalmation molly just for size reference - though that may not matter. Could the decomp have caused these problems? This to me seems the most likely cause of the issues - but I don't know if that helps anyone to tell me HOW to fix it now...

So I guess I'll just treat the whole 90g with something for the parasites. Can I use Metro without lacing the food - just treating the tank? I have more of it than I do anything else, and there are no local fish stores here (except Walmart if you count that, which I don't). And they don't even carry meds anyway last time I checked (other than Melafix which I'm already using). I can order online today for some other stuff, but of course it will be Monday before I get it. I fear that things will be much worse by then. Any thoughts or suggestions for this "remote and far away from LFS" fish lover?

PLEASE HELP!?? :wall:

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
raise the temp 3 degrees and put salt in the tank?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
that would be my guess.

it sounds like an anchor worm of some sort.
anybody?

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Well, salt and heat are definitely cheaper than the meds and easier to get since I have plenty of aquarium salt. So, 3 degrees warmer (that would make it about 81 since it's about 78 now)... and HOW MUCH salt for a 90g? And how long till I see the fish looking better and acting normal again?

Thanks guys!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store