Two differnet clowns hosting the same anemone???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I have a yellow striped maroon clown and a false percula clown hosting the same bubbletip anemone in my 55G tank. Is this normal???? The maroon is a lot bigger the percula clown too

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Normal, no but it does happen. Your clowns have formed a pair bond against the odds man. Lots of times when you have two different clown species in a tank you can have major problems but, you didn't so don't worry. The maroon is the girl and the percula is the boy. I wouldn't dare add any other clowns to the tank though.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
lol I don't hear that happening often. You should post some pics :) I definitely wouldn't add anymore clownfish. You might upset what little balance they have. You will probably have to keep a closer watch on them then a normal pair.

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I will post some pics today sometime. I thought that something like this wouldn't happen. But it's pretty cool.

The maroon clown always gets the middle of the anemone and the percula gets the rest. Really wierd.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
If they are sharing they are a pair. I've never heard of a pair bond breaking in a tank with some exceptions like removal of one of the clowns etc.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Question.. Did you add them to your tank at the same time or different times?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
You're lucky the maroon did't kill it they are the most aggresive clown.

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I know! I figured that out after I got the maroon clown. But everything is looking great and the fish never nip at eachother. But you can tell that the maroon clown is the boss of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store