20L Using Tunze Reef Pack Problem With Flow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twodaend

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Alsip, IL
In my 20L, I have 2 Koralia #1's and a Tunze Reef Pack (Nano Skimmer and Filter). The problem is, I'm not sure if I have enough flow. Right now, I have 1 Koralia in the back right corner about 1/4 was down pointing slightly up and at the center front glass. My other Koralia is on the back glass 1/2 way down, off center also pointing at the front center of the glass. And finally my Tunze Reef Pack is in the back left corner up as hight as it can get, leaving a few inches below the unit.

One problem I'm having is that I have very little if any flow at all going under the Tunze. I was wondering how can I, or should I even have flow going under the unit. If I have to reposition the unit, I will, I just can't figure out at way to get good flow everywhere. I'll try to take a picture tonight for a better description.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Can i just confirm with you..you have two Koralia 1's in a 20 long? and your not getting good flow?

The Koralia 1 is rated at 400gph...you have 2...which gives you about 40 x water turn over per hour...thats a pretty darn fast flow really...if they are pluggged in correctly, i would say they could be faulty mate...

that should be pretty turbulant in there really...

Niko

twodaend

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Alsip, IL
I'm not sure if it is good or not, just does not look good to me. Coming from the FW world, I have an AC 110 on a 75 gallon rated at 500gph and the flow seems much more in comparison. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but the flow to me I though would be much more. I also have a Maxi 400 and 1200, I'll give a try in my 20L to see how much more flow it is.

Currently there is nothing in the tank except sand. Rocks will be added at the end of the week.

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
I had 2 koralia 2's in my 30long.. which are 600gph each, then i also had my return rated at about 300gph coming back from my sump... so total there was about 1500 gph turnover... to me, it looked like there wasn't much flow at all, but at the time i only had sand and lr...

when i got my first mushrooms and fish... HOLY COW! the fish couldn't swim, and the mushrooms had no chance....

so i just sold my two koralia 2s and just got 2 koralia nanos.. so instead of 1200gph from koralias i will have like 520 from the koralias...

even though it doesn't look like a lot of flow, its a wide flow and trust me, you have more then enough if not way too much...

twodaend

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Alsip, IL
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. With nothing in the tank, but water and sand right now, it does not look like much. I'll be adding LR this weekend. When I begin to add fish and corals, I'll see how much flow it really is. I have a Koralia #3 on the way for my FW oscar tank to help with the dead spots in there.

At least now I'll have something for comparison also.

I was wondering, do you use the little guard that come with the Koralia's. I took it off thinking it was restricting flow, but at the same time, I don't want a fish or coral to get close and injured.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store