DIY tank stand for 2 30" tanks....some questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
I am going to have my grandfather build me a tank stand for 2 30" tanks. He can build me whatever I want, I just have to tell/show him what I want it to look like.

My problem is finding some examples of DIY stands. I know it won't be hard to build, but I want to make sure its going to support the 29g on the top. Most tank stands built have the center pieces of wood in the middle (if you are looking at the front or back) which I assume is not only for support, but to make doors for the front and attach plywood when you finish it.

Since I want the stand to be for 2 tanks (20L on the bottom), I don't want that middle piece.

My plan is to have him build the stand 31" long to have an extra 1/2" on each side. And also, instead of having a single 2x4 for each of the 4 "legs", I want to have 2 2x4's (or 4x4's) like a corner for the for legs/corners, screwed together with angle brackets (hopefully the drawing illustrates it better).

Here's my sad MSPaint drawing: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/SouthernGirl8504/1standdesign.jpg.

Would this be a sturdy way to build the stand? The inside length has to be 30" as well so that the 20L will fit underneath. I will put a piece of plywood on the top and bottom for extra support.

Any thoughts, concerns, or tips?

Thanks!

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
IMO.......it will be more than enough for a 29g.

Post pics!

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Would I be better off using 4x4s? I know it would be sturdier of course, but would it be a bad idea to use 2x4s? My dad has some 2x4s here, so just wondering if I could use those.

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
Here is an illustration of two options for you if you want to use only 2x4's.

Hopefully you'll be able to see it? I dunno how it will come up in this thread.

Attachments

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Its trying to save it as a Paint Shop pro photo file, which is a program I don't have. :( So, I can't see it.

Can you save the picture to something like Photobucket and then post the IMG link or just a direct link to it?

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Its trying to save it as a Paint Shop pro photo file, which is a program I don't have. :( So, I can't see it.
It's a bitmap, which means much too big for what you actually see. And it's visible with MSPaint, which you have if you have Windows.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Doh! I removed that program and it let me see the picture. :rolleyes: Guess since thats one of the few picture programs I have, it was trying to use it even though my trial expired awhile ago. Didn't think about that earlier....

OldMan1947

OldMan
Mar 24, 2005
Central Illinois
I have found that a 1 x 3 frame set on edge can be topped with plywood. I use 3/4 inch ply. The whole thing can be held up by placing 2 1 X 6 boards at each corner at right angles to each other so they wrap the corner. This gives your stand a rigid frame if it has both a top and bottom shelf and the whole thing is screwed together. To leave the face open for 2 separate tanks, use a 1 x 3 on the front so you don't need to make the stand much wider than the tank. 5 inches by the time you put one on each side. I have found that an extra half inch is never enough. Its nice to have a spot on the stand for your air pump and to hide the flake food. The flake food will hide nicely behind one of the 1 x 3 face boards. The tendency to go to 2 x 4 and larger lumber is extreme overkill for a pair of 29s or a 29 and a 20L. The 1 x 3 and larger lumber is surprisingly strong when used as a vertical or when joined with another one at a corner and it will look less like a garage project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store