My Scats Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Hi. I bought two beautiful scats few days ago. They are wild caught, and I guess are green scats. But the problem is that they are not doing very well. Please help me because I like these scats alot.

I saw one of them laying on the floor and not breathing. I quickly put them in pure distilled water from my AC and found that the scat recovered in 2 hours. I bought them on 9th September and since then they have not eaten anything.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. Can anyone tell me what will they eat. And why are they not doing well in regular tap water. I added salt to the AC water and they are doing well in there but not as good as the water from where they were caught. But tap water is not working for them.

I will post their pics soon, they are currently in a bucket full of AC water with medicine that turns water blue.

Please help.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Its a 14 US gallon tank. It has been cycled and it has floating plants. Didnot used any salt in that becuase of fresh water plants. Now the scats are in 3 gallon bucket with tap water and a salt mix bought from the friendly shop keeper. Donot know what salt is it but the salt has medicine mixed in it. 1 tea spoon of salt per gallon was mixed. And also CURE ALL medicine 6 drops for 3 gallon even when it says 1 drop per gallon. The scats are fully recovered and are breathing normally, the troubled scat has wounds but I guess they will heal qiuckly, donot know where did it got them from? They are not eating at all. May be wild caught fish eat something else but what? I gave them betta pellets, big pellets, flakes and frozen blood worms. But no luck.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
And yes the scats are a little bit bigger than 2 inche. (2.54 cm = 1 inch). There were 6 tiger barbs in the bucket becuase I just bought them and wanted to get any diseases they have. Now the barbs are in the 14 US gallon tank. And the scats are in the bucket.

Gangstafish

gangstafish
Dec 10, 2006
long IslandNY
Scats need marine salt in the water. The tiger barbs are probably what damaged the scats. They also need vegetable matter in their diet. Rom aine lettuce or Nori. Nori is seaweed. I need to know what kind of salt you are using.

Picture 566.jpg

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Nice pic. My scats look like these ones. And are more friendly. When not threatened they gather at the aquarium glass where my hand is. I will ask the fish seller and tell you that. My scats are breathing normally and are swimming correctly as well. But they have not eaten yet. I will try lettuce.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
With most brackish fish acclimation is crucial. You'd want to check with the store to see if they actually had them in brackish water in the store or if like many do - have them in plain fw (well you'd do this when you buy them). Either way they should end up in brackish (with marine salt like instant ocean) and be slowly acclimated to it using a drip method of some kind. I've heard even going from one brand of salt to another can cause the fish problems so slowly acclimating it is key. I hope you realize they will need a large tank soon, they get very big and are really messy (so overflitration and a good cleaning & wc schedule is in order). Very cool fish though - I had silver scats until I decided I couldnt provide them with a big enough tank and they went back to lfs. Bloodworms would be what I'd try if they are being finicky eaters.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
14g is way too small for even 1 scat. Are you aware they grow as large as a dinner plate? We still need water parameters, although, you can't test for them, since the scats aren't in there. What were the meds for? Scaleless fish are very sensitve to meds.

ideas1400

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
The scats were in backrish water from sea. I do not know the SG of that water. My scats are breathing perfectly and the wounds caused by tiger barbs are healing as well. I used Cure All for woulds and bleading side of a scat that was lying on his side. Used this salt mix with med that I bought from the shop. This salt is not a salt mix for sea water I guess but I still have to ask the shop what kind it is. I am trying to feed lettuce, flakes, frozen prawns and blood worms and mini pellets and still no success. I am confused. the missing fins will grow back or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store