Pistol shrimp/goby pair, goby disappeared, now what? 3g pico

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Well, we had the pistol/goby pair for many months, and the goby disappeared. He was great, eating everyday. Mysis, and brineshrimp. Goby seemed healthy, and fat. Eating one day, gone the next. Didn't notice any crispy critters on the floor. Finally, after about 10 days, we lifted the LR that they had their burrow underneath, and no sign of the goby. Perhaps the shrimp killed the goby, or the goby died, and the shrimp ate him. Not sure, shrimp seems fine. Anyway, which gobies are known to pair with the pistol shrimps? Would the small yellow clown gobies pair, or not?

Oh, it's a 3g pico with xenia, a hitchhiker zoa, and a freebie candy cane coral, about 5lbs LR and 5lbs LS. 18w 50/50.

wferr337

AC Members
May 26, 2007
don't know much about the pistol shrimp but I found my orange spot in my overflow box?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
It would not surprise me if the goby turned up....depending on how deep your sandbed is, it could still be in a tunnel..the pistols do make quite a tunnel complex in there...And its mainly only shrimp gobys that will pair with the pistol shrimp...If it has died, then yes, there is a good possibility that the pistol would of eaten it...

Niko

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
The sand is deep(maybe 2"{5cm}), and the LR is hollow underneath, so I will remain hopeful, but it's been quite a while since I've seen him. I can't imagine what he would be eating (lots of amphipods in there though). It will probably take me a while to get around to finding another goby, so maybe he'll turn up before I "replace" him.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I wouldn't replaice it until you were 100% sure it was gone. They aren't known for their great love of sharing mate! If you can fine one of the opp sex you might have a better chance but, that set up is very small for two fish.
hth
Max

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Mystery solved: He's dead. I found a potato chip resembling a banded hi-fin goby under the bookshelf. He must have 'escaped' to his own demise. At least it wasn't the water, I'll have to acquire a replacement.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
such a shame...carpet surfing is not what the fish expect when they get there...NO WATER....

I hope you get a replacement, and maybe concider some kind of coverings for the tank..

Niko

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
The tank is pretty well covered. It's one of those 3g deco setups. A hole that I can barely get a finger into, and the spillway for the small HOB filter. I figure he was exploring "upstream" to boldly go where no goby has gone before and discovered oblivion. They know not what they do. Maybe he was protesting his captivity, and since he didn't have a belt to hang himself with, he improvised.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Mystery solved: He's dead. I found a potato chip resembling a banded hi-fin goby under the bookshelf. He must have 'escaped' to his own demise. At least it wasn't the water, I'll have to acquire a replacement.
I was just going to suggest that! I found my diamond goby a few feet from the tank about 2 months ago. Get a secure top, or egg crate to put over the tank to help prevent this in the future. I'm still trying to find another diamond, but no one sells them here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store