Rainbows

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
I have a 120g(60"x18"x22") cycling right now and have always wanted to keep rainbows. Some of these fish are just great looking and seem to have a good temperment. I would like to keep a school of red line torpedo barbs with them as I just love these fish. Expensive, but beautiful! I would like to hear from those aquarists who have experience with these fish. I'm in no hurry and will wait until I can get just the right fish for my setup. Don't know if I'll go with artificial decorations and plants or go natural with live plants. Natural is a lot more work, but I do like it more. I have seen some really nice artificial setups though. What do you think?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have only had praecox rainbows (aka dwarf rainbows) and they were absolutely stunning! But with your size tank a large school of bosemanis would be spectacular. If you are willing to spend the money you should also try looking for less commonly available species.

I think the natural look is better. More work but a great payoff!

Radar

Thought is free.
May 26, 2007
Kentucky
I have 6 Bosemanis Rainbows. They are by far one of my favorite fish.You can kinda get lost in time setting and watching them do their little dances together.And it is interesting to watch how they can turn their color darker when they are in certain moods.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Natural is more work to set up but once you get the right combo and chemistry it isn't that much more work. Actually once the plants are established they will help you with the water chemistry.

Last edited:

pcnicholson

3 more tanks to bankruptcy!
Apr 2, 2007
Mesquite, TX
I have a tank with Bosemanis and a Madagascar rainbow as well. The Madagascar is much smaller but is a really beautiful fish as well. Might want to consider them.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
Rainbows are truly amazing creatures. I enjoye watching them specially when they're flashing their bright colors (mine usually does during after feeding time). As for the plants, I'm always biased to go for natural. They look better and maybe they help a bit in your tank's water chemistry. Good luck :)

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
Anyone have any experience with the red line torpedo barbs? These fish are beautiful, also a bit pricey. I don't see them for sale that often, but when I do I just drool looking at them.

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
I am especially fond of the Banded rainbow, Boesman's rainbow, and Lake Kutubu rainbow. The Lake Kutubu rainbow I have seen in a dealer's display but have never seen them for sale.

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
I'm definately leaning towards a natural planted tank with driftwood and broad leaf hearty plants. I like the terraced look. I feel if done correctly, can ba a stunning display.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store