New 5 gallon questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
Hello! I set up a 5 gallon hex last week with live rock and sand, and am waiting for it to cycle. I am definitely wanting to make sure I do all research first and am very patient. I have a few questions:

This is a 5 gallon, but I will be moving all inhabitants to a 24 gallon Nano Cube DX in a year and a half when I move and have a more substantial income. That said, I want to start off now building toward my eventual tank.

1. I would like to eventually have 1 or 2 percula clownfish. Other possible inhabitants (pending compatability research) are yellow clown gobies and some sort of damsel. I was thinking that my only inhabitant in this tank (once cycled), would be a single young clown, a pair of clown gobies or a yellow tailed blue damsel (have read conflicting info on whether or not this fish would work in a 5g, even temporarily). My LFS has some very tiny of these damsels and also clownfish that I feel could be ok for the time period.

2. Once cycled, should I add coral or fish first? I'm going to go with some very easy, low tech corals. My lighting is 2 of the coralife 50/50 10 watt bulbs.

3. Should I have an air pump in the tank for added circulation? Currently the only circulation I have is the palm azoo filter that is running.

Thanks for helping!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I would not put any of them fish in a 5 gal tank, not even as a temp measure really....when you have rock, sand and equiptment in there, the lack of swimming room is going to be greatly reduced...If you do, then make it a hard fish, but one which stays very small....which, none of the above mentioned fish do stay small enough for a tank this size...

Once cycled, it makes no odds really whether you add fish or coral first...

You do need some form of water circulation in there. With it being sucha small tank, you need flow because if you have a dead spot with very low flow, food will settle there and the water params will go bad very very quickly...Personaly, i have never come across the mentioned filter so i cant comment on output it gives...

Just my opinion of course..

Niko

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
just do a few small inverts and a yellow clown goby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store