Unidentified Goldfish disease!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
No one in the general forums answered...

In January, one of my goldfish who was about 2.5 yrs old suddenly died. The two other goldfish in the tank were 1.5 yrs old and both showed no sign of any disease. What happened was that I noticed the fish was in the water "standing" on its head. I thought it may be from ingesting too much water so I waited to see what would happen. The next morning I woke up and noticed the fish's fins had turned red and then began to shrivel up rapidly. The next day the fish was dead. I tried to use a cure called "Fungus Eliminator" because I was unable to identify the disease in time to buy a cure that would be effective. If anyone knows what happened to my fish I would appreciate the knowledge for the future. If this helps: My fish live outside during the summer and are brought back inside in October to live in a tank. Thanks for your help!

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
parasites?

I've read that ggoldfish living outside are exposed tomany parasites that they are able to deal with due to the large body of water, varied diet of bugs and algae and plants, sunshine, lots of exercise. when they are brought indoors, they may need to be treated for these parasites which otherwise will take advantage of the stress of the poor quality water, cramped quarters, restricted diet.

Plus, was this tank cycled? Red in the fins can indicate ammonia or other chemical problem.

But, don't quote me, go to Puregold and read up on this, I may recall this incorrectly.

Puregold

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Since this happened in January I don't think it could be the case. They had been inside since October at that point. Wouldn't the parasite have acted by then? And the other two fish did not experience any symptoms and are alive and well to this day! This is why it remains a mystery to me! I suppose it could be some sort of bladder problem? That's my best guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store