What does a South American Bumblebee Catfish really eat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
I got a South American Bumblebee Catfish some time ago. He was going to live in the guppy tank. Actually, I hoped he would eat some of the guppy fry. All my attempts to reach that goal before that were futile. My rams or the gourami don't eat tiny fish :rolleyes:. The guppies don't, either. Only the huge amano shrimp catches one or the other. I didn't see any effect from the cat so far.

Anyway, back to the question. How big do they really get? Do you think they will get that big that they eat a panda cory one day? I just ask, because I want to be better safe than sorry.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
They only get to be about 3" total length, so eating a cory would be out of the question. Their asian cousin on the other hand would. They are nocturnal feeders, so any unsuspecting fry are likely to get eaten at night.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Cool. Let's hope that the shop knew what they were selling. Eating fry is exactly what the cat is supposed to do. Eating adult fish: not so much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store