Platy question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tycoon

AC Members
May 29, 2007
Are platies social fish or can I put just one platy in a community tank?

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
They are no schooling fish, but they are definitely social. Like most of the popular livebearers.

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
Agreed, I had just one platy in a tank for a few months, and he became much more playful when I got him a friend.

Tycoon

AC Members
May 29, 2007
Sure. If you have a male and a female, better add another female. You could always get those dwarf platies if you have space problems.

what if I buy 2 males? will that be alright? I dont want them breeding...

Druu

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
If you have females only, a pair would be fine. If you have a male, it is best to have a trio of a male and two females- in a male/female pair, the female might be chased a bit by a lustful male.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
If you want two make sure you get either two males or two females if you don't want to breed but they do better in pairs. I have three platies 1 male and 2 females no fry yet.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just let them breed===The frey are good food for the rest of the tank (sorry, sounds cruel, but true). If you do not try and save the freys only a very few will survive and not over populate the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store