How do rubbernose plecos handle Metro and Prazi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
I have a Rubber Nose Pleco and I'm thinking about treating him for parasites. I have a box of Jungle Parasite Clear which is Praziquantel and Metronidazole. Are these particularly harmful to plecos outside of the usual med risks?

Barbie

Fishaholic
First, why do you want to treat him for parasites? Neither of those products are going to be particularly stressful in themselves, but Metronidazole is distinctly less effective at temperatures below 85 degrees and your rubber nose pleco is definitely not going to see much humor in temps even over 80 degrees. What are you treating for, exactly?

Barbie

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Well this guy is being treated for parasites now because he is going into my Discus tank (actually it is a she). This is just a standard quarantine. Metro definitely can be used with great effectiveness under 80 but parasites have a harder time surviving at higher temps. Right now she has been slowly brought up to 80 and I'm planning on taking her up to 84. Everything I have read says Rubberlips can handle temps around 80.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store