112gal. Art classroom tank: Updates: Electric Blue cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spiffish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
So, my tank has cycled for about a month. Just this past weekend I finished up the decor and stocking. I placed plastic egg-crate under the sand, and went and found lots of large natural stone.

Ever make a mistake stocking? In my stocking indecision, I ended up making the wrong decision: I bought neon tetras and black mollies. As it turns out, when viewing the tank in my classroom, the fish could barely be seen!
So, I Called up my LFS, and they were willing to take my tetras and mollies in trade for some lake Malawi cichlids.

So, now I have 8 1-2" cichlids. I am sticking with the general color scheme of blue and yellow, favoring the electric blue coloration.

First: Anyone have any pics of what my current fish might look like matured?

Second: Anyone have any recommendations of specific species that would make good tankmates that are electric blue or deep blue in color? Also, any good bottom feeders?
I've heard that the E.b. jack dempsy is nice, would this be an option?

Lastly, the pics!
:

_MG_6939c.jpg IMG_6948c.jpg

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
EBJD are not compatible with what you have in there. There are other mbuna that are blue, look through the species profiles at cichlid-forum.com if you want some ideas

Phil22

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Can't help much with stocking, but the tank looks great. Well done! What is that piece in the center...driftwood?

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
to know what they would look like, knowing what they are would be very helpful, btw nice tank.

spiffish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
Thanks for the comments. I wonder if it would look better without the plastic plants on the left side? hmm..

to know what they would look like, knowing what they are would be very helpful, btw nice tank.
That is quite true! However, I do not know that either... These fish were among an assorted african cichlid selection at my LFS.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
the acei cichlid is pretty.. kindof purply blue w/ yellow fins.

you can only have other african cichlids with the fish you already have, so jack dempseys are not an option (they're from south america)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
you may want to add a synodontis catfish or two. i am not familiar with individual species, but they get along well with african cichlids and would be really neat for the kids to see, as a lot of them have neat spotted patterns and big whiskers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store