Steatocranus casuarius

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
has anyone on here kept Steatocranus casuarius? I saw some in a book and I really liked them. also does anyone know where I can get some relatively cheap? thanks

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
I've kept them, they are really awesome little cichlids. They are absolutely comical and hardy as well. They are relatively easy to breed if that's what you're looking for, but they are also compatible in different setups too. I've seen them in West African type tanks with kribs and things like that, but you could also mix them with smaller Central American cichlids too if the mixing of continents doesn't bother you. They can hold their own in a community with convicts, firemouths, and fish like that. They are occasionally available at LFS around me, but I have no clue where to find them online, since they are not rare or popular.

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
thanks for the information. I cant really find them anywhere, and the only LFS around me rarely carries anything but the usual livebearers, gouramies, angels, and plecos. even convicts are rare there. I would really like to try them as soon as my 20g is free, now I just need to find out where to get them

JimH

AC Members
Mar 3, 2007
I just saw that you're in Rhode Island. So am I. Do you know where Rumford Pet Center is? It's in East Providence , just this side of the Mass line . I was just there yesterday and they had a few juvenile humpheads. Yes, they are easy to breed once they get to their adult size of about 4 inches. They do really well in caves. I used a couple of clay flower pots laid on their wide mouths with the drain hole enlarged for an entrance. A pair will usually take up residence in one and raise their fry inside. Good Luck with it!
Best....
Jim

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
I just saw that you're in Rhode Island. So am I. Do you know where Rumford Pet Center is? It's in East Providence , just this side of the Mass line . I was just there yesterday and they had a few juvenile humpheads. Yes, they are easy to breed once they get to their adult size of about 4 inches. They do really well in caves. I used a couple of clay flower pots laid on their wide mouths with the drain hole enlarged for an entrance. A pair will usually take up residence in one and raise their fry inside. Good Luck with it!
Best....
Jim
Thanks for the information. I live pretty far from providence, down in narragansett. I cant get any for a while, until I free up my 20g, but I will keep that store in mind. there really arent many petstores down here, the closest good one is the new critter hut in NK

srahul

Registered Member
Mar 29, 2012
HELP NEEDED on Lionhead cichlid (Steatocranus casuarius)

HELP NEEDED

Hi guys.

I recently got a "breeding pair" of Lionhead cichlid - Steatocranus casuarius - together with about 30 young offspring.
Now im faced with a peculiar "problem". The male keeps attacking his "mate". Though the tanks is filled with rocks and hiding places.. the female is forced into another section of the tank and the male does not seem to "tolerate" her....

Have you had/come across the case of such "change of heart" in these "monogamous" fish? Any recommendations? any past experiences?
All help will be greatly valued.

Tank details : 80cmx35x,x40cm = 100Ltr.
fill of rocks/caves at the back of tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store