Is this algae eater suitable for a 10g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cbatusf

AC Members
Dec 17, 2006
Tampa, FL
www.myspace.com
I have a ten gallon freshwater aquarium with 3 zebra danios. I went to Petco looking for an algae eater (my first mistake) to help my growing algae problem, and the aquarium guy recommended two kinds of algae eaters. I honestly can't remember the names of them, but the info cards on them said that the minimum tank size for them is 5 gallon. I picked the pretty gold-colored algae eater, came home, and did some research. I think that I have a Chinese Algae Eater which I read can get up to a foot in length and is aggressive. I'm not great when it comes to identifying fish, so I just wanted to run it by you guys to see that this fish is a Chinese Algae Eater.

The other algae eater looked similar to the Chinese Algae Eater, and I think it was an Otocinclus catfish. Would that be ok to put in my ten gallon with 3 Danios? They aren't aggressive, are they? If the fish in my aquarium is, in fact, a Chinese Algae Eater, it'll be returned to "good-ol" Petco. :wall:

Thanks for you help!
~Courtney

penpitt

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
That is a chinese algae eater and I think 1 or 2 otos would be fine but you would probably need to supplement their diet with algae tabs

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
i think you'll be better off with otos or corys unless you get a bigger tank. i myself have a golden algae eater and it's beautiful, but it's in a 20g. lotta personality, quite amusing to watch.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
no chinese algae eater..especially in a 10.

they get big and aggressive.
oto's are fine but..they can be sensitive and difficlut to acclimate. they can also be hard to keep in a 10 as the tank does need to be established with a good growth of algae..which they will consume very quickly.

if you go with oto's you will need to try and train them to consume algae tabs or other vegetation.

williedee

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Wisconsin
www.drudgereport.com
i have an oto in a ten gallon tank, and it sure does a nice job of eating all of the brown algae growing. Thats what i would do

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
that is not an chinese algae eater i have had one and it looked completely different unless its a different colour morph of the species
then go with a oto or maybe a bristlenose

fishlover88

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
that is definately a chinese algae eater, they are selling different colored ones now, to try and sell them better, ive seen the gold, regular, and even a mottled type coloration.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
everyone always talks bad about these fish. they can and probably will eventually learn to attack slow or wide bodied fish. i seen them suck on my bichir lol, so i had to get rid of them.

anyways, i think they are good in tanks with fast aggressive fish like barbs or even african cichlids which i have experience housing them with both

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Agreed ^^. They are best kept with more aggressive fish that can hold their own.

I'd return the Chinese Algae Eater and get a couple Otos. :) They are totally peaceful and would fit in nicely in a 10g. I'd get 2-3 and be sure to feed them algae wafers every night or every other night.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Yes that is a chinese algae eater and I think I might have them in my tank as well. They are gold with a tan stripe down its side. So far I have not seen aggression but I keep close watch on the them. They do chase each other and seem in fact to get along with my other fish but I continue to keep alert to their behavior. I did not have luck with otos they died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store