My Pleco won't eat and seems ill (sob)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
I don't know what happened. I looked at my 7 inch common pleco two days ago and I could tell something was wrong. He has a few torn fins (this happened once before because he got stuck in a cave - but I removed that) and he has not eaten since. He is normally a huge pig when it comes to feeding time. He has been on the bottom of the tank barely moving 8( I'm so sad. He's our favorite. I have been keeping his water extra clean. I have tried tempting him with goodies but he won't eat. I even put some squash in there from the garden.

The tank is a 90 gallon with live plants and driftwood. No ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates (ever, is that normal?), ph is about 7.2, temp is 77. I change 30% of the water once a week and gravel vac, could that be why there are no nitrates? He shares the tank with a striped raphael, 2 ADF's, and a few clown loaches and guppies. I know they will need a larger tank at some point, that will be no problem so don't worry 8)

Heres a photo of him at the bottom of the tank where he been very lethargic, you can see his ripped fin also, sorry for the bad pic.........Is there anything I can do for him other than keep his water super clean? 8( Michelle

CIMG6544.JPG

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Just keep a close eye on him. He may have indigestion. The torn fins may either from aggression from another fish (unlikely with what you listed) or getting hung up on decor in the tank.

shaggbark

Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
Thanks. I put him in a QT tank and used Maracyn for three days but had to put him back in the main tank when the antibiotics caused water problems. He seems a little better. I have seen him eat a small amount. He went longer than a week refusing food so I am happy to see him eating even a little. I am still watching to see if the fins are getting better. Hard to say at this point.

He's like a puppy dog to the family. I saw a huge 18 inch pleco at the LFS today and I thought to myself, that maybe one day ours can grow that big too 8)

Thanks Pete!

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
It's ok if he skipped some meals. A good big healthy common like yours can go 14 days without food if he's got some fat on him. You might try soaking his favorite veggie in garlic water before feeding time. It'll help stimulate his appetite, and it's a mild form of treatment for any internal parasite problems he may have developed. Keep an eye on him, and let's hope he grows big and strong for you.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
ITs good to hear hes getting better. IM not sure if this applies to plecos, but when my goldies have indigestion or swim bladder, I feed them boiled peas without the skin. My pleco loves it aswell!

shaggbark

Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
Thanks guys. I will try your suggestions and hopefully post a happy update soon. I'm keeping a close eye on his fins, I would like to see more improvement by now. I am keeping his water super clean and keeping my fingers crossed.

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
Dunno about why he's not feeling well, but as far as the nitrates go, it's not all that unexpected. Planted tanks with regular frequent water changes don't tend to show nitrates (since the plants absorb them as fertilizer).

G'luck.

shaggbark

Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
Interesting about the nitrates. I used to have low nitrates before I went to live plants so that makes sense.

I have good news......my beloved pleco seems to have improved. He is back to hanging on the glass instead of looking dead on the bottom of the tank and being pushed around by the current. He has been eating better and this morning was the first day I noticed definite improvement of his fin rot, the gaps are filling in. I must go know on wood now..............

Thanks for all of your help!

CIMG6570.JPG

Jomats

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2009
peas for plecos

hi, I saw your post about giving your pleco peas. I'm at wits end, mine hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks. He won't take the wafter or cucumber and never took zucchini. I want to try the peas but don't know how you get them to stay down he can get to them. He's always on the bottom. Sounds like a great idea and I'll try anything.

would appreciate any advice. thanks! joan

, I feed them boiled peas without the skin. My pleco loves it aswell!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store